(BBC) – White House chief strategist Steve Bannon is the latest top aide of President Donald Trump to leave his post.
Press Secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders confirmed that Friday was his last day.
His exit follows a review of his position by White House Chief of Staff John Kelly.
Mr Bannon, a right-wing nationalist and former head of Breitbart.com, helped shape the “America First” message of Mr Trump’s election campaign.
But critics had accused the 63-year-old of harbouring anti-Semitic and white supremacist views.
Mr Bannon is known to have competed for influence in the West Wing against more moderate factions, including members of the Trump family.
Mr Trump fuelled speculation when asked last week about Mr Bannon’s future as he replied: “We’ll see.”
Mr Bannon’s interview this week with the American Prospect, a liberal magazine, reportedly infuriated the president.
The White House aide was quoted as dismissing the idea of a military solution in North Korea, undercutting Mr Trump.
He told the magazine the US was “at economic war with China” and that he aimed to push out moderates whom he believed were soft on China.
Mr Bannon told associates he thought it was an off-the-record chat and didn’t realise he would be quoted.
He has pushed for imposing additional tariffs on China and other trade partners to reduce deficits with those countries.
He also advocated for a travel ban on citizens of certain Muslim-majority countries.
Ms Huckabee Sanders’ statement said: “White House Chief of Staff John Kelly and Steve Bannon have mutually agreed today would be Steve’s last day.
“We are grateful for his service and wish him the best.”
Source familiar with the decision said Mr Bannon had been given the chance to leave on his own terms.
Mr Bannon took over as chief of Trump’s presidential campaign in August 2016.
He was formerly a US Navy officer, Goldman Sachs investment banker, Hollywood movie producer and head of Breitbart News.
He has reportedly told friends he could go back to the right-wing outlet that has boisterously supported Mr Trump.
In a potentially worrying sign for the White House, Breitbart’s senior editor-at-large Joel Pollak tweeted: “#WAR”.