Share This On:
The following statement is issued by Chancellor of The University of the West Indies, Robert Bermudez on the passing of the Most Honourable Edward Philip George Seaga, ON, PC, former Jamaican politician and the country’s fifth Prime Minister.
On behalf of the entire University community, including our staff and students, I extend heartfelt condolences to the family of the Most Honourable Edward Seaga and to the people of Jamaica. The monumental role he played in Jamaica’s development will forever be remembered and his legacy lives on in the many institutions he created during his tenure as Prime Minister.
The University of the West Indies was honoured to host him as one of our distinguished research fellows; and the Edward Seaga Collection housed at the Mona Campus Library, consisting of many of his papers, memorabilia and artefacts is an enduring contribution to students and other researchers.
To his wife, the Most Honourable Carla Seaga, and his children, we hold you in our thoughts and prayers.
More Jamaica News Stories
- US ‘salesman’ caught with ammunition at Jamaican airport October 16, 2019
- Former Jamaican PM PJ Patterson hospitalised after accident October 15, 2019
- Jamaica: Woman attacked by pit bull wants compensation October 14, 2019
- Jamaican man defrauded elderly US couple out of US$320,000 October 14, 2019
- Five-week-old baby stolen in Jamaica October 14, 2019
- Jamaica: Man learns 5 kids are not his; still plans to marry woman October 14, 2019
- Jamaican woman has three sets of twins October 11, 2019
- Jamaica: “Prekeh Bwoy” tops police wanted list October 9, 2019