Share This On:
(OECS RELEASE) — In a first likely to impact the North American and Canadian medicinal marijuana industry, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines (SVG) has made history as the first OECS Member State to decriminalize for medical purposes and scientific research, the production of the coveted crop under a tightly controlled framework.
Speaking from SVG, Minister for Agriculture The Hon. Saboto Ceaser said the passing of the Bill in Parliament on the 11th December signified the Caribbean island was now positioned to become a globally leading medicinal cannabis hub not only in terms of high quality production but research.
“The planning of this innovative industry has been carefully conducted over a long period of time in close consultation with the agricultural sector and many different stakeholders to reach the level of maturity we see today.
“There is broad recognition and buy-in of the economic benefits this tightly controlled and regulated industry is expected to bring in terms of direct employment, the creation of support industries and foreign investment.
“SVG is unique in that our growing conditions are suited to producing the highest quality grade medicinal cannabis available on the global market and this is recognized with the increase in investor sentiment and inquiries we are receiving both regionally and abroad ” said Minister Caesar.
Traditional cultivators, stakeholders and others have joined the Government in celebrating the passing of the Bill as the Government now moves to direct its focus toward implemention of the legal framework for the production of medicinal marijuana.
- Department of Health and Wellness coronavirus review meeting February 18, 2020 2:55 PM
- 1st phase of Market Redevelopment Project almost ready February 18, 2020 10:39 AM
- UWP Government deprives 8000 young St Lucians of laptops – SLP February 18, 2020 9:09 AM
- Ministers welcome Youth Parliamentarians at Monday’s Cabinet meeting February 18, 2020 8:48 AM
- 16-year-old among victims of Dominica plane crash February 17, 2020 6:31 PM
- Three Saint Lucians attend World Summit 2020 in Korea February 17, 2020 2:08 PM
- Items found in sea as Dominica plane crash rescue mission continues February 17, 2020 10:37 AM
- BREAKING NEWS UPDATE: Reports of plane crash in Dominica February 16, 2020 8:28 PM
- Conservationists frown on illegal dumping practices near nature site February 14, 2020 2:25 PM