Share This On:
(CMC) – A High Court judge in Antigua has sentenced a St Vincent and the Grenadines-born policeman to 16 years in prison after he was found guilty of having sex with his 11-year-old child in 2017.
Justice Iain Morley issued an order restricting publication of the names of the parties to the case to protect the victim, who was reportedly bullied in school after word of the incident got around.
The child reportedly expressed a desire to kill herself since the incident.
In addition to the prison term, the policeman was ordered to pay the victim EC$40,000 in compensation or face an additional six months in prison.
Justice Morley told the policeman, who was on remand prior to pleading guilty two months ago, that he had betrayed the trust of the child.
More Antigua and Barbuda News Stories
- Antigua and Barbuda shuts down border with China due to coronavirus January 31, 2020
- Antigua: 241 new CIP citizens in the first half of 2019 December 31, 2019
- Antigua Senate gives green light to amend marriage legislation December 19, 2019
- Mike Tyson announces plans to bring marijuana empire to the Caribbean September 29, 2019
- Mike Tyson explores business ventures in Antigua and Barbuda September 22, 2019