Share This On:
St. John’s ANTIGUA – St. Lucia’s rising star Kimani Melius has been included in the 15-member team to participate in an 11-day camp in St. Kitts & Nevis.
Melius is the only St. Lucian player in the main squad which includes five Guyanese, three Trinidadians, two Barbadians, and one each from Jamaica, Dominica, Grenada, and St. Kitts & Nevis.
The three reserves are from Jamaica, Barbados, and Antigua & Barbuda.
Cricket West Indies (CWI) Selection Panel made the announcement on Friday, Nov. 24.
The training camp which will run from December 10-20 is the last round of preparation before they depart the region on December 28.
Windies Under 19 are the defending champions for the ICC U-19 Cricket World Cup New Zealand 2018. The tournament runs from January 13 to February 3.
Head Coach Graeme West expressed excitement at the team chosen,” it’s an exciting time for these guys now that they’ve discovered they’re going to be going to a World Cup. It’s a bit of a younger side than the last one we took to Bangladesh. However, we have a very established, experienced batting group, with the likes of Kirstan Kallicharan and Emmanuel Stewart who went to the last World Cup.”
West thinks there will be “a lot more attention on the West Indies in this tournament, after the last tournament and title in Bangladesh. In the group stage, we’re in a very tough group as the #1 seeds, so we’re going to have to hit the ground running, just to succeed in the group stage.”
The team is scheduled to depart the region on December 28. A one-week camp will be held in New Zealand prior to the start of the World Cup.
Emmanuel Stewart – Captain (Windward Islands- Grenada)
Kirstan Kallicharan – Vice Captain (Trinidad & Tobago)
Ronaldo Alimohammed- (Guyana)
Alick Athanaze- (Windward Islands- Dominica)
Cephas Cooper- (Trinidad & Tobago)
Jarion Hoyte- (Barbados)
Kimani Melius- (Windward Islands- St. Lucia)
Ashmead Nedd- (Guyana)
Kian Pemberton- (Leeward Islands- St.Kitts & Nevis)
Raymond Perez- (Guyana)
Joshua Persaud- (Guyana)
Jeavor Royal- (Jamaica)
Keagan Simmons- (Trinidad & Tobago)
Bhaskar Yadram- (Guyana)
Nyeem Young- (Barbados)
Brad Barnes- (Jamaica)
Joshua Bishop- (Barbados)
Javier Spencer- (Leeward Islands- Antigua & Barbuda)
Graeme West- (Head Coach)
Dwain Gill- (Team Operations Manager)
Corey Collymore- (Assistant Coach)
Khevyn Williams- (Physiotherapist)
Zephyrinus Nicholas- (Strength & Conditioning Coach)
Dinesh Mahabir- (Analyst)
- BREAKING NEWS: Saint Lucia gov’t denies buying horses or funding racetrack October 21, 2019 2:38 PM
- Three injured in Bexon accident October 21, 2019 2:10 PM
- Senior citizen stabbed multiple times in Bocage October 21, 2019 1:14 PM
- UPDATE: Two dead following Castries accident October 21, 2019 12:32 PM
- UPDATE: Fatal accident in Castries October 21, 2019 12:02 PM
- Entrepot Secondary students sent home early due to “inadequate supervision” October 21, 2019 12:00 PM
- Soca artiste launches ‘Born Lucian’ clothing brand October 21, 2019 11:01 AM
- Gas, diesel prices increased; cylinder prices decreased October 21, 2019 10:36 AM
- RC Infant school to now remain closed until Tuesday, Oct 22 October 21, 2019 10:21 AM