Share This On:
Two St. Lucian men face 10 years in French prison after they were caught with four bales of cocaine at sea earlier this week, according to Martinique 1ère.
Public Prosecutor in Martinique Renaud Gaudeul said the St. Lucians, ages 36 and 51, were arrested on Monday, November 20 after they were caught in international waters between St. Lucia and Martinique during an operation by the Navy’s surveillance frigate, “Le Ventose”.
The two men were aboard a go fast speedboat.
“The boat, equipped with an outboard motor, was still on its way at the sight of the Navy helicopter. The two occupants got rid of the bales [of drugs] overboard to be recovered [later]… The boat was stopped at 2:37 a.m. as a result of warning shots to the front of the go fast,” the prosecutor said.
The four recovered bales contained a total of 72 kilograms of cocaine, the prosecutor said.
The St. Lucians were referred to the prosecutor of the Specialized Interregional Jurisdiction of Fort-de-France on Thursday, November 23.
After their indictment, the men were remanded in custody.
- Saint Lucia negotiates and signs new Bilateral Air Services Agreement December 12, 2019 3:06 PM
- Horse racing event a fraud on the people of St Lucia – SLP December 12, 2019 2:17 PM
- RBC announces sale of Eastern Caribbean banking operations December 12, 2019 9:58 AM
- SSDF signs agreement for Vieux Sucieux Water Supply Expansion Sub- Project December 12, 2019 9:51 AM
- Ministry of Equity implements new initiative to boost CASP ‘Host a Centre Day 2019’ December 12, 2019 9:21 AM
- Forbes features St. Lucian CEO of biotech company on its 30 Under 30 2020 list December 11, 2019 11:37 AM
- Police investigate hanging death of prisoner December 10, 2019 11:14 AM
- Julien Alfred wins big at FastTrack Collegiate Opener December 10, 2019 10:44 AM