Share This On:
(DNO) – Prime Minister of Saint Lucia, Allen Chastanet, has revealed that a loan for the construction and establishment of new international airport facilities in his country, has been approved.
He stated that construction will begin this fall at the Hewanorra International airport which will provide it with the capacity accommodate over one million passengers.
“So it means that we are going to be commencing construction of the new airport this fall and the new airport is going to be able to have the capacity of one and a half million passengers,” Chastanet told his audience at the 6th annual Saint Lucia Showcase – North America which was held from July 18-19.
Some the new systems to be adopted in the enhancing the Hewanora airport facility, according to the prime minister, include facial recognition technology and a system where people’s bags are delivered to their hotel. ‘On property’ satellite offices will be also be created where people will be able to check-in their bags at their hotels instead of doing so at the airport.
“We are driven to be successful in this industry because of the benefits tourism generates,” Chastanet stated.
He explained that the new initiative is a way of bridging the gap between what people want and what is actually being delivered.
“The amazing number is, if you take a poll and you ask people to close their eyes and think of where they would want to go on vacation, ninety percent of the people say the Caribbean. But only one and a half percent of them ever end up on the Caribbean,” he said. “So the question becomes, how do we bridge that gap in terms of what people want and what we are acth we will unveilually delivering.”
At present, there are two airports operating in Saint Lucia: the George F. L. Charles Airport in Castries and the soon to be upgraded Hewanorra International Airport in Vieux Fort.
- DLP sweeps general election in Dominica December 6, 2019 9:12 PM
- Hallucine leads the ARC fleet into Saint Lucia December 6, 2019 3:56 PM
- Hilaire continues to sell out Saint Lucia – UWP December 6, 2019 12:52 PM
- Dominicans vote amid fears of violence December 6, 2019 9:50 AM
- Three officers injured in Salisbury operation in Dominica says police chief December 5, 2019 6:59 PM
- Dominican chastises regional leaders including PM Chastanet December 5, 2019 3:41 PM
- Traffic Delays along Castries/Gros Islet Highway December 5, 2019 1:45 PM
- Government moves to protect the pensions of Millennium Heights Employees December 5, 2019 8:52 AM
- Catholic church in Dominica condemns ‘disrespectful’ behavior towards senior clergymen December 5, 2019 6:37 AM