The culinary team which will represent St. Lucia in the Caribbean Hotel and Tourism Association’s (CHTA) “Taste of the Caribbean Culinary Competition” has been announced by the Saint Lucia Hotel and Tourism Association (SLHTA).
The contest will be held in Miami from June 28 to July 2, 2014 and will feature 10 regional teams facing off in a culinary team competition, bar-tending and pastry-making challenges.
Each of these teams were chosen as a result of their participation in national competitions in their respective islands. St. Lucia’s edition took place on Wednesday, April 2 among 12 chefs.
Those chosen to represent the island for the Saint Lucia Culinary Team Cook-Off are as follows:
Hot Plate Chefs
• Elijah Jules (team captain) – Anse Chastanet/ Jade Mountain (2012 gold medalist, Chef of the Year, Taste of the Caribbean Culinary Competition)
• Refer Leonce – Cap Maison
• Martha Hippolyte – Coconut Bay
• Peter Lawrence – Bay Gardens Beach Resort
• Caron Jean – Coconut Bay
• Sharma Peter – Anse Chastanet/ Jade Mountain
• Alva Preville – Delirius (2010 Bartender of the Year, Taste of the Caribbean Culinary Competition)
A release from the SLHTA states that while the island was unable to participate last year due to financial constraints, it is pleased to be able to this year. This, the organisation was only achieved through “dedicated” sponsors.
“Due to troubling financial woes the SLHTA was unable to facilitate a team in 2013 and missed out on the opportunity to raise the culinary awareness on the island and capture many awards, but thanks to substantial support from our sponsors, we are closer to achieving the necessary financial assisted required to travel to Miami and host various practice events in Saint Lucia,” the SLHTA said in the release.
It further stated, “Our participation in the 2014 Taste of the Caribbean Culinary Competition requires a focused preparatory process as well as adequate financial resources to enable the team to give its best effort. Our main focus is a series of preparatory fundraising dinners, practice sessions and public culinary demonstrations that would allow the team to receive critical feedback and inputs from invited patrons, while progressively honing their competitive skills.”
The SLHTA took the opportunity to mention the various sponsors who have come on board to make this year’s participation possible. They are:
• Food Express and Meat Express
• Sandals Grande Saint Lucian Spa and Beach Resort
• Saint Lucia Tourist Board
• Saint Lucia Distillers
• Saint Lucia Electricity Services
• Monroe College
• Consolidated Foods Limited
• Viking Traders
• Anse Chastanet/ Jade Mountain
• CGM Gallagher
• RUBIS West Indies Limited
• Green Evolution
• Saint Lucia Marketing Board
• TransCaribbean 2000
• Lazy Lagoon Trading Company
• Bay Gardens Beach Resort
• Royal by Rex Saint Lucia
• Back to Roots Virgin Coconut Oil
• Superior Fish and Seafood Ltd
• Plat. Grow. Eat.
The SLHTA has thanked participants, judges, supporters and sponsors for their encouragement and contributions.