Share This On:
World Hypertension Day was inaugurated in May 2005, and has become an annual event that encourages public awareness, prevention, and control of hypertension.
As part of the observance, the Ministry of Health and Wellness in collaboration with the Saint Lucia Diabetes and Hypertension Association will provide free health screening sessions at the island’s wellness centres.
“May 17 has been designated as International Hypertension Day under the theme ‘Know Your Blood Pressure Numbers.’ In Saint Lucia we will celebrate with an open day at all wellness centres. The wellness centres open from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m., and we are urging members of the public to come out and get blood pressure and sugar tests,” said Morgan Cyril of the Saint Lucia Diabetes and Hypertension Association. “Hypertension can lead to a host of diseases including stroke, blindness, kidney disease and heart attacks, so we are encouraging the public to get tested.”
Mr. Cyril added that treatment and lifestyle changes can help control high blood pressure that can help reduce the risk of life-threatening complications.
More General Stories
- Blanchard Community Center to be rehabilitated October 13, 2019
- Meeting mom doesn’t always mean you’re ‘wifey’ October 12, 2019
- SLASPA conducts simulation exercise at Castries seaport October 10, 2019
- UN Climate Action Summit addresses the plight of SIDS October 1, 2019
- Saint Lucia Fire Service receives US$120,000 donation from Korea October 1, 2019