Share This On:
World Hypertension Day was inaugurated in May 2005, and has become an annual event that encourages public awareness, prevention, and control of hypertension.
As part of the observance, the Ministry of Health and Wellness in collaboration with the Saint Lucia Diabetes and Hypertension Association will provide free health screening sessions at the island’s wellness centres.
“May 17 has been designated as International Hypertension Day under the theme ‘Know Your Blood Pressure Numbers.’ In Saint Lucia we will celebrate with an open day at all wellness centres. The wellness centres open from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m., and we are urging members of the public to come out and get blood pressure and sugar tests,” said Morgan Cyril of the Saint Lucia Diabetes and Hypertension Association. “Hypertension can lead to a host of diseases including stroke, blindness, kidney disease and heart attacks, so we are encouraging the public to get tested.”
Mr. Cyril added that treatment and lifestyle changes can help control high blood pressure that can help reduce the risk of life-threatening complications.
- Stephenson King sought over outstanding labour matters
- Happy Mother’s Day
- Lisbon PR Awards presents its new jury members
- Over 500 Saint Lucian cruise workers “stuck abroad”: Fedee
- UPDATE: Eight Saint Lucian “Norwegian Spirit” employees return home
- BREAKING NEWS: Saint Lucia has started to bring home nationals; 8 arrived today!
- Universal Church and Youth Power Group respond to COVID-19
- Pierre: “Avoid temper tantrums, find meaningful ways to occupy your time”
- National Meals Program brings together public and private sector partners