Share This On:
(CMC) – Several fake social media accounts have been set up in the name of Prime Minister, Allen Chastanet, prompting a warning from the authorities for members of the public to be on guard.
“We remain increasingly concerned about several reports we have been receiving about fake accounts on Instagram and on Facebook in the Prime Minister’s name,” Senior Communications Officer, Nicole Mc Donald, told reporters Monday.
She said the accounts have been sending direct messages to individuals who have responded by divulging information that has been requested.
“The Prime Minister would not be requesting financial information or any such information from anyone, so we are asking them to be vigilant and help us report some of those fake accounts that are set up to mislead people,” Mc Donald explained, adding “we are aware of the fake accounts and we are trying our best to get them removed”.
Mc Donald also urged the public not to respond to messages from the fake accounts.
“We get messages from the public quite often – maybe at least once every two weeks, in terms of another fake account being set up and messages coming to them from those accounts.”
Mc Donald said that based on requests coming from the accounts, a lot of people recognise that the accounts are not genuine.
“We think that this has been happening way too often,” she said, adding that attempts are being made to get to the bottom of the matter.
Mc Donald said some of the fake accounts end up attracting thousands of followers since people see the Prime Minister’s photo and assume it is safe to follow the account pages.
- St. Lucian neurosurgeon performs complex brain surgery at OKEU Hospital
- Integrity Commission extends declaration filing deadline to June 30
- WHO calls on young people to join tobacco-free generation fight
- Choc Housing Development underway
- St. Lucia public officers called on to volunteer as trainers and facilitators
- Saint Lucia commemorates first Inter-American Day Against Terrorism
- Saint Lucia records 19th COVID-19 case
- UWP says Philip J Pierre proves once again he is not fit for leadership
- 92 depart Saint Lucia for employment in Canada’s Farm Worker Programme