St. Lucia benefits from more EU assistance

 Share This On:

Prime Minister Dr. Kenny Anthony with Ambassador Mikael Barfod at the signing ceremony.

On Thursday, January 17, 2013, the Government of Saint Lucia and the European Union signed a financing agreement for two major projects.

The European Union was represented by Ambassador Mikael Barfod, who is the Head of Delegation of the European Union to Barbados and the Eastern Caribbean.

The Project Brief is as follows:

PROJECT 1

Project Title: Support to the National Housing and Development Programme
Project Cost: EUR 970, 000
Project Duration: 2013-2016
Project Objective: To provide the requisite infrastructure, roads and drainage to ensure the progressive facilitation of the construction of housing units.
Beneficiaries: The main beneficiaries will be the 30 households (100 persons) from the Soufriere, Fond St. Jacques community that were displaced by Hurricane Tomas.
Organization Procedures:
Project Supervisor: The National Reconstruction and Development Unit within the Ministry of Finance, Economic Affairs and National Development
Contracting Authority: The Office of the National Authorising Office
Donor Coordination: Pinnacle Trust St. Lucia partnered with the Government of St. Lucia and co-funded the construction/installation of the infrastructure and the construction of 60% of the proposed houses. Pinnacle Trust will then fund the construction of the remainder of the 40% of housing units after the roads and drains have been put in place.
Main Activities: Construction of Roads and Drains

PROJECT 2

Project Title: Selective Measures to provide sustainable access to safe drinking water in St. Lucia
Project Cost: EUR 810, 000
Project Duration: 2013 – 2016
Project Objective: To improve access to a more consist and sustainable supply of safe drinking water for the Micoud – Desruisseaux communities in St. Lucia
Beneficiaries: Residents of Micoud and Desruisseaux
Organization Procedures:
Project Supervisor: WASCO
Contracting Authority: The Office of the National Authorising Office
Main Activities: 1) Construction of clarifier and filter at Micoud Treatment Plant
2) Construction of an intake plant in Desruisseaux
3) Rehabilitation and upgrading of the Desruisseaux treatment plant, including:
(i) Replenishment of sand in the filter
(ii) Supply and replacement of missing parts of the treatment plant and
(iii) Procure and install lamellas at the Desruisseaux Treatment Plant to improve
the treating process

Prime Minister of Saint Lucia Honourable Dr. Kenny Anthony, who  presided over the signing ceremony, noted that the aid and assistance provided by the European Union cannot be understated.

The prime minster said  EU funding will facilitate the completion of the New National Hospital.

“As you heard,  today’s signing ceremony for the financing of two worthy interventions  represents the continued cooperation and support that the European Union provides to the government and people of Saint Lucia.  Indeed perhaps we should emphasize that the New National Hospital that we will be visiting later today is the largest project undertaken by the European Union in our part of the world. So for us that was a very special gesture on the part of the European Union,” he said.

(0)(0)
This article was posted in its entirety as received by stlucianewsonline.com. This media house does not correct any spelling or grammatical error within press releases and commentaries. The views expressed therein are not necessarily those of stlucianewsonline.com, its sponsors or advertisers.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.