Share This On:
(SNO) – Former Prime Minister Dr. Kenny Anthony has said it is strange that Stephenson King is silent on the St. Jude Hospital issues.
Following the deadly fire that destroyed St. Jude Hospital in 2009, reconstruction began the following year under King who was prime minister of the then ruling United Workers Party (UWP) administration.
The project continued under Dr. Anthony, as prime minister, when the St. Labour Party (SLP) was returned to power in November 2011.
The UWP went back into power in June 2016, under Allen Chastanet, but the St. Jude reconstruction hasn’t been completed. In fact, it has been stalled citing structural and cost-overrun issues, among others, according to the authorities.
However, speaking at a public event recently, Dr. Anthony is wondering why King, who is now Minister for Infrastructure, Ports, Energy and Labour, hasn’t broken his silence on the status of the project.
“But the strangest thing in all of this is the silence of Stephenson King. St. Jude was never a Labour project. After the fire, it was a UWP conceived project. King is a pillar of silence, while Guy Joseph, Mary Isaac and Chastanet attack the project that King conceived. Chastanet tells King boldface in his presence, there was no plan, no vision, and if there is no plan, no vision, then the person who must take responsibility has to be Stephenson King,” the Vieux Fort South MP said.
Dr. Anthony continued: “They pretended that they didn’t have a handover report that detailed where every container containing the materials for St Jude could be found. In the handover report of Shanta King, Stephenson King, his name is mentioned five times in that report. I don’t know if Shanta King believed and expected that since the UWP was in power, then King would have protected her. You know the number of times my name is mentioned in that handover report? Notwithstanding it is the Labour Government that had to find the money, that had to complete the designs, my name is mentioned on two occasions in that report.”
- St Lucia captures numerous accolades at 6th Annual Travvy Awards February 19, 2020 8:45 AM
- Department of Health and Wellness coronavirus review meeting February 18, 2020 2:55 PM
- 1st phase of Market Redevelopment Project almost ready February 18, 2020 10:39 AM
- UWP Government deprives 8000 young St Lucians of laptops – SLP February 18, 2020 9:09 AM
- Ministers welcome Youth Parliamentarians at Monday’s Cabinet meeting February 18, 2020 8:48 AM
- 16-year-old among victims of Dominica plane crash February 17, 2020 6:31 PM
- Three Saint Lucians attend World Summit 2020 in Korea February 17, 2020 2:08 PM
- Items found in sea as Dominica plane crash rescue mission continues February 17, 2020 10:37 AM
- BREAKING NEWS UPDATE: Reports of plane crash in Dominica February 16, 2020 8:28 PM