Share This On:
(SNO) – Former Prime Minister Dr. Kenny Anthony has said it is strange that Stephenson King is silent on the St. Jude Hospital issues.
Following the deadly fire that destroyed St. Jude Hospital in 2009, reconstruction began the following year under King who was prime minister of the then ruling United Workers Party (UWP) administration.
The project continued under Dr. Anthony, as prime minister, when the St. Labour Party (SLP) was returned to power in November 2011.
The UWP went back into power in June 2016, under Allen Chastanet, but the St. Jude reconstruction hasn’t been completed. In fact, it has been stalled citing structural and cost-overrun issues, among others, according to the authorities.
However, speaking at a public event recently, Dr. Anthony is wondering why King, who is now Minister for Infrastructure, Ports, Energy and Labour, hasn’t broken his silence on the status of the project.
“But the strangest thing in all of this is the silence of Stephenson King. St. Jude was never a Labour project. After the fire, it was a UWP conceived project. King is a pillar of silence, while Guy Joseph, Mary Isaac and Chastanet attack the project that King conceived. Chastanet tells King boldface in his presence, there was no plan, no vision, and if there is no plan, no vision, then the person who must take responsibility has to be Stephenson King,” the Vieux Fort South MP said.
Dr. Anthony continued: “They pretended that they didn’t have a handover report that detailed where every container containing the materials for St Jude could be found. In the handover report of Shanta King, Stephenson King, his name is mentioned five times in that report. I don’t know if Shanta King believed and expected that since the UWP was in power, then King would have protected her. You know the number of times my name is mentioned in that handover report? Notwithstanding it is the Labour Government that had to find the money, that had to complete the designs, my name is mentioned on two occasions in that report.”
- Canelles Resort Project begins January 17, 2020 2:52 PM
- St Lucia Jazz and St Lucia Summer Festival 2020 off to an exciting start January 17, 2020 10:00 AM
- Alert of “Assured” brand products January 16, 2020 3:20 PM
- Government aims to reduce serious crime by 45 percent January 16, 2020 2:33 PM
- 2020 Saint Lucia Summer Festival launched January 16, 2020 1:28 PM
- BVI: ‘Earthquake swarm’ leaves researchers puzzled and DDM on ‘high alert’ January 16, 2020 11:37 AM
- St Lucian artist Shaaiae collaborates with Gaza international artist Shawn Storm January 16, 2020 9:09 AM
- Central Statistical Office commences mapping for 2020 census January 15, 2020 11:34 AM