Share This On:
The almost $1 million St. Jude Hospital technical audit has been completed and presented to government.
Economic Development Minister Guy Joseph said having spoken to an engineer on the project, he was informed that the report was delivered to his ministry on Thursday.
The minister had said last year, that based on information from the preliminary report, things may be worst than expected.
“The technical audit is very revealing from the information we have received,” Joseph had stated.
And while he had promised to share the information with the public, to allow people to scrutinize the report, Joseph now says that this information will not be revealed.
“Even when I get the audit, it may not be appropriate to make any specific statements in relation to it, other than to let the people of Saint Lucia and the media know that the audit is available,” he explained.
However, the technical audit report will be sent shortly to the Office of the Attorney General and the Director of Finance.
Joseph said based on the advise from these two departments, his ministry will lead the charge in ensuring that contractors and firms are held accountable once they are implicated in the audit.
“It was not an audit designed to go after anybody. It is an audit designed to inform where we are and what has happened. And whatever the audit picks up and we know that we have to take action, the people of Saint Lucia can rest assure that we will take the appropriate action.”
Some $95 million has already been spent on the project, which should have cost some $50 million instead. The new administration claims that another $50 million may be required to finish the hospital.
Construction at St Jude was suspended in July 2016 to facilitate the technical audit.
The government said the Kenny Anthony administration only provided so-called completion dates because of political expediency and was fully aware that the hospital could not be completed anytime soon.
Citizens in communities from the South have been inconvenienced and do not have access to the minimum standard of health care because of several deficiencies at the makeshift hospital at the stadium in Vieux Fort.
- BREAKING NEWS: Mon Repos businessman succumbs to gunshot wound November 11, 2019 7:35 PM
- Former Saint Lucia top cop Vernon Francois talks about the launch of his digital books November 9, 2019 11:18 PM
- 76-year-old businessman shot in Mon Repos November 9, 2019 9:07 PM
- Gunmen attack, rob bar manager in Jetrine, Saltibus November 9, 2019 6:29 PM
- Entrepot, Sir Ira and Bocage secondary schools to remain closed on Monday November 9, 2019 5:55 PM
- Women who fought with Ciceron Secondary students speak out! November 9, 2019 5:28 PM
- Fond Doux Plantation & Resort wins ‘America’s Most Eco-Friendly Hotel’ award November 9, 2019 1:45 PM
- VIDEO: Schoolgirls, two women fight at Castries fast food outlet November 9, 2019 1:17 PM
- Cow thief arrested by Anse La Raye police November 8, 2019 10:20 PM