Share This On:
Founded and developed by Bay Gardens Resort Director Julianna Ward-Destang, the water park is located on Reduit Beach, Rodney Bay Village.
It is being dubbed the first open-water sports park in the Eastern Caribbean. The official opening ceremony was held yesterday, Friday, July 31, 2015.
Executive Director of Bay Gardens Bay Resort Sanovnik Destang told St. Lucia News Online (SNO) earlier today that “lots of people are using it right now and having lots of fun”.
Locals are free to use the park, once they pay. Destang noted that 80 percent of park users today were local.
He said everyone is respecting the rules.
“Locals who have not paid to use the water park are swimming around it without any difficulty so long as they don’t use the water park equipment,” Destang said.
Management has stuck to its promise to give free admission to under-privileged children.
Destang said six Gros Islet children who obtained complimentary tickets are “having a blast”.
“We will do about six complimentary (tickets) from Gros Islet a day just for an hour,” he noted.
Commenting on criticisms that the water park appears to be smaller than initially advertised, Destang said the angle the photos were taken in the brochure is what made the difference.
“It’s actually bigger than the one in the brochure. Wait until you see drone overhead shots and compare the two,” he said.
Concerns about safety were also addressed. Several certified lifeguards are stationed in the park, which is opened daily from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Users of this floating playground must be six years of age and older, and all users must wear life vests.
Below are a list of fun things that can be done at the water park, by children and adults:
– climbing wall
– monkey bars
– a swing, a slide
– double rocker
– and water volleyball among others!
For more information about Splash Island, visit their Facebook page at www.facebook.com/stluciawaterpark
More Finance/Business Stories
- St. Lucian wins trip to Spain from Magnum Tonic Wine January 17, 2020
- ECCB hosts 4th Growth and Resilience Dialogue with Social Partners January 17, 2020
- UNESCO IPDC opens new project submission cycle January 16, 2020
- New Year’s Message from the President of CSA – Cyprian Montrope January 14, 2020
- Signing ceremonies for two Grassroots Projects in Saint Lucia January 14, 2020
- Gov’t announces goodwill and brand ambassadors January 13, 2020