Share This On:
(SNO) – The District 6 (Vieux Fort) Schools Football Festival took place on Wednesday (Oct. 10) at the Phillip Marcellin Grounds, with a total of eight participating primary institutions.
The tournament, a joint effort of the Saint Lucia Football Association Inc. and the Government of Saint Lucia, has long been a proving ground for the most exciting young talent.
For the first time ever, the Vieux Fort Special Education Centre emerged champions of the District 6 competition. They finished second in Group B, behind Plain View Combined. In the semifinal against Vieux Fort Primary, Jeanil Moffat scored early on, only for Plain View to equalise at the death. Special Ed would prevail 2-1 on penalties.
Meanwhile, Pierrot Combined had beaten Plain View in the other semi, also on penalties.
Come the final, it was Jeanil Moffat again, teaming up with Canice Alphonse to earn a 2-0 victory in their first-ever final.
Johnson James, a teacher at Special Ed, was thrilled at the result:
“I’m so proud of my team,” he said. “Thank you Alwyn Harris of Harris Handling and Logistics services for donating brand new, full football kits to Vieux Fort Special Education Centre. I have no voice left. Great job students.”
Vieux Fort Primary won the third-place fixture 2-0 over Plain View.
Lyndel Augustine of Vieux Fort Primary got the most goals, whilst Special Ed goalkeeper Greg Marcellin was adjudged the best goalkeeper and Most Valuable Player. He also scored twice, and had two saves in the semifinal penalty shootout.
Speaking of his young MVP, teacher James said:
“[He] played as centre back in one game, midfielder in the next, then goalkeeper in the semi and finals. Whatever role I wanted him to play, he did it well. Scored one against Augier, then a great, world-class backheel goal against Belle Vue.”
The most outstanding female footballer, Jerdell Emery of Pierrot Combined, had her rivals tied up in knots with her incredible dribbling skills.
Look out for their names in years to come!
- Suspected case of coronavirus in BVI – Local health officials thrust into ’emergency meeting’ February 27, 2020 3:43 PM
- PAHO calls for stepped up preparedness for Coronavirus February 27, 2020 3:03 PM
- Dr. Kenny Anthony appeals for assistance for fire victims in Vieux-Fort February 27, 2020 2:19 PM
- WASCO responds to Richard Frederick’s statement on ‘Can I Help You’ program February 27, 2020 2:14 PM
- Castries Constituency Council workers return to work February 27, 2020 9:05 AM
- RSS to present crime scene investigations equipment to St. Lucia police February 27, 2020 8:57 AM
- BTC turns 60 February 26, 2020 12:04 PM
- Second District Court in Vieux Fort relocated February 26, 2020 9:32 AM
- Labour Department summons CCC and National Workers Union to urgent meeting February 25, 2020 2:54 PM