The Soufriere/Fond St. Jacques Constituency Branch of the United Workers Party (UWP) has raised questions about what it said is internal conflict within the Soufriere Regional Development Foundation (SRDF).
In a press statement issued on Thursday, the group said it was concerned that the “ongoing and deteriorating situation” has affected the functions of the organization for more than a year.
The group in its release further directed questions to member of parliament for the area Harold Dalson regarding the management of the foundation.
The entire statement has been republished below:
IS HAROLD DALSON CAUSING MAYHEM AT THE SOUFRIERE REGIONAL DEVELOPMENT FOUNDATION?
Three Directors resign!
For more than one year, the Soufriere/Fond St. Jacques United Workers Party Constituency Branch has been aware of the internal conflict afflicting the operations of the Soufriere Regional Development Foundation. This is a matter that is known to residents of Soufriere as well, who have expressed their concerns through various avenues.
We have remained silent with the hope that the situation would improve. Unfortunately, the situation has deteriorated. The proper functioning of the Soufriere Regional Development Foundation is critical to the social, economic and cultural development of Soufriere and its environs.
It is important therefore that the integrity of the Foundation is safeguarded with the best interest of Soufrierians in mind. We are concerned that the ongoing and deteriorating situation has created a quagmire which affects the functioning and effectiveness of the Foundation to positively impact the livelihoods of the residents of Soufriere.
With this in mind, the Soufriere/Fond St. Jacques United Workers Party Constituency Branch therefore calls on the Member of Parliament for Soufriere /Fond St. Jacques, Hon. Harold Dalson, to answer the following questions:
1. Is it true that the Soufriere Regional Development Foundation has been operating for almost two months without a Chairman or Acting Chairman of the Board?
2. Is it true that three Directors of the board including the Chairman have resigned during the last four months?
3. What is the reason for this mass resignation of Directors of the Board?
4. Is it true that you in circa December 2012 requested the resignation of the entire Board of Directors?
5. The Articles of Association of the Soufriere Regional Development Foundation clearly mandates the Prime Minister with the responsibility to appoint the Directors of the Board. On what authority did you demand the resignation of the entire Board of Directors circa December 2012?
6. Is it true that there is great discord between certain Directors and the CEO, Mr. Walter Francois?
7. Is it true that you, Hon. Harold Dalson, is primarily responsible for the mayhem at the Soufriere Regional Development Foundation as a result of your insistence on hiring and retaining the CEO in position despite several attempts by the Board of Directors to terminate his services?
The Soufriere/Fond St. Jacques UWP Constituency Branch would like to remind Hon. Harold Dalson of his persistent, unfounded accusations of political interference in the Soufriere Foundation by the former UWP Government when he was in opposition.
Today, it is conspicuously clear for all to see that it was simply a situation of ‘pot calling kettle black’ as Hon. Harold Dalson has immersed himself into the day to day operations of the organization to the point of deciding who is hired and fired.
We, therefore, appeal to Prime Minister Hon. Kenny Anthony, on behalf of the people of Soufriere/Fond St. Jacques and the good governance of the Soufriere Foundation to expeditiously appoint three new Directors to the board and to direct Harold Dalson to stay out of the day to day operations of the Soufriere Regional Development Foundation.
We remain vigilant.