Share This On:
A British cruise ship passenger, who brought cocaine into the United Kingdom (U.K.) from Saint Lucia, has been sentenced to nine years and six months in prison for importing a Class A drug, following a trial at Southampton Crown Court in the UK, according to the BBC.
Investigators said Kevin Enright, 55, from Milton Way in Dunstable, Bedfordshire, used a Caribbean holiday as cover to bring almost three kilos of cocaine worth more than £200,000 into the UK.
He was arrested on October 31, 2017 as he disembarked a liner at Southampton Docks with the cocaine his suitcases.
Enright told National Crime Agency (NCA) investigators that the cruise had been paid for, following a win on horses, and that he had innocently purchased the suitcases, the BBC reports.
However, when officers conducted a search on his belongings they discovered traces of drugs within a false lining of two suitcases, one of which had been inside the other.
According to the BBC, the NCA was able “to prove he had collected the cases in St Lucia, and that he had been in contact with others suspected of involvement in the importation”.
“Our investigation involved liaison with law enforcement partners in the Caribbean, and through that, we were able to prove that Enright’s story was made up. It became clear that he had contacts with others involved in drug trafficking on both sides of the Atlantic,” Bob Holness, NCA senior officer, was quoted as saying in the BBC report.
- Saint Lucia negotiates and signs new Bilateral Air Services Agreement December 12, 2019 3:06 PM
- Horse racing event a fraud on the people of St Lucia – SLP December 12, 2019 2:17 PM
- RBC announces sale of Eastern Caribbean banking operations December 12, 2019 9:58 AM
- SSDF signs agreement for Vieux Sucieux Water Supply Expansion Sub- Project December 12, 2019 9:51 AM
- Ministry of Equity implements new initiative to boost CASP ‘Host a Centre Day 2019’ December 12, 2019 9:21 AM
- Forbes features St. Lucian CEO of biotech company on its 30 Under 30 2020 list December 11, 2019 11:37 AM
- Police investigate hanging death of prisoner December 10, 2019 11:14 AM
- Julien Alfred wins big at FastTrack Collegiate Opener December 10, 2019 10:44 AM