The St. Lucia Manufacturer’s Association (SMA) attended the 2nd Annual General Meeting of the Dominica Manufacturer’s Association which was held at Fort Young Hotel in Roseau Dominica on Wednesday, May 22, 2013.
The Association was represented by Secretary of the SMA Renee De Myers. The feature address at the event was delivered by President of the Jamaica Manufacturer’s Association Brian Pengelley.
The theme for the meeting was ‘Manufacturer’s, A Powerful Leverage For Successful Regional Economic Integration’. The event brought together delegates from the associations of Saint Lucia Manufacturer’s Association; Association Martiniquais pour la Promotion de L’Industrie, Association de Moyennes et Petites Industries de Guadeloupe and the Dominica Manufacturer’s Association.
During the meeting, a declaration for economic cooperation was signed by the four countries of St. Lucia, Martinique, Guadeloupe and Dominica Manufacturer’s Association.
The declaration highlighted the tight historical and cultural links that unite the territories and the subsequent friendship and solidarity relationships which presently exist.
The partners expressed the view that there were opportunities created by the exchanges between the four groups of manufacturers and that this newly formed cooperation would be a powerful leverage to economic growth in the territories.
The declaration for economic cooperation between the four countries agreed at this meeting that they would:
* Recognize the urgency to promote networking practices between their organizations in order to know each other better;
* Jointly express their willingness to structure their actions with the aim to create a vibrant and profitable partnership;
* Express their intention to identify and implement common strategies allowing their members to overcome the challenges that currently prevent development of business;
* Advocate for the establishment of strong permanent and recurring business relationships between their territories;
* Declare their wish to be closely associated with the governing bodies of the OECS.
St. Lucia Manufacturer’s Association (SMA) being party to the agreement, was very happy to be part of the deliberations and considered that this would be a great opportunity to enhance existing and potential trade between the countries.
At the moment, Baron Foods Ltd, a member of the SMA, is trading briskly with the French territories and the SMA is working with other companies to assist in improving access to business opportunities between its members and the other territories.
Add St. Lucia News Online on Blackberry Messenger (2A983D96); follow us on Twitter (twitter.com/slunewsonline) and like us on Facebook (facebook.com/stlucianewsonline) for breaking stories and news as it is posted.