Share This On:
(SNO) – The Saint Lucia Teachers Union (SLTU) has shortlisted a 25-member team for possible selection to contest the track and field portion of the 2018 Caribbean Union of Teachers (CUT) Games.
The biennial championships, which this year will also include swimming, will be held this year July 13-15 in Bermuda.
Headlining the pre-selection or provisional squad are Kayla Charles and Leon Alexander, both of whom were triple champions at the recent 14 & Under National Championships, as well as returning medallist, Naomi London.
Charles, a student at Entrepot Secondary and a member of Survivors, will compete in the under-15 girls 100m, 200m and 400m, as will Hannah Charles of St Joseph’s Convent and Rockets. Also in the U15 girls will be Joy Edwards (Leon Hess Comprehensive/Survivors) for shot put and long jump, and Jenneil Jacobie (Corinth Secondary/Morne Stars) for high jump.
Alexander (Beanefield Secondary/Morne Stars) will line up for the under-15 boys 100m and 200m, as will Shiloh Perpie (Micoud Secondary/Nightriders). Wesley Desrivieres (Leon Hess Comprehensive / Survivors) is expected to compete in the 400m, shot put and long jump.
London (Belle Vue Combined/Pacesetters) was a double medalist when the games were last held in the British Virgin Islands in 2016. She will attempt the under-13 girls 100m, 200m and cricket ball throw, as will Jada Emmanuel of Choiseul Secondary. Sierratina Hilaire (Camille Henry Memorial/Morne Stars) is expected to go in the 400m, and Brianna James (Survivors) is set to enter for long jump and high jump.
Ishmael Pierre of Augier Combined could lead the charge for the under-11 boys, along with Rohan Joseph and Ryan James (Nightriders).
In the Under-11 girls, the fabulous Genevieve Mann (Pierrot Combined) will do a 100m/200m/400m triple, as will Shakima Matty of District 5.
The biggest group identified for possible selection is the under-11 boys, which includes Zachary Isidore, Shevon Byron, DeAndre Isidore (St. Aloysius RC Boys/Elite), D’Andre Norbert, and Neondre Charles.
In the under-9 category, Joewel James (Vieux Fort Primary/Pacesetters) and Earlan Joseph (Dame Pearlette/Morne Stars) are picked for the boys 80m/150m/CBT and for the girls, Barbara Marie-Maxim (Augier Combined) and Destiny Cenac (District 1).
No official word has been forthcoming as yet as to the final composition of the team, but the SLTU will certainly be scrambling for sponsorship to make the long trip to the North Atlantic. Last time out, in the BVI, Saint Lucia got three medals with a team of two.
- Qiana Joseph to participate in Women’s T20 Grand Slam Franchise Tournament November 20, 2019 12:55 AM
- Saint Lucia misses Gold Cup playoffs after falling to Montserrat November 20, 2019 12:08 AM
- US government warns of travel to Dominica; calls for restraint November 19, 2019 6:34 PM
- Dominica’s opposition leader strikes back; blames police for unrest in Roseau November 19, 2019 6:19 PM
- OECS chairman calls for “calm” in Dominica November 19, 2019 5:19 PM
- UPDATE: Dominica’s PM condemns unrest in Roseau; blames opposition UWP (see video) November 19, 2019 4:23 PM
- Saint Lucian in Taiwan’s top TV singing contest November 19, 2019 8:06 AM
- Turmoil in Dominica as protesters and police clash (see video) November 19, 2019 7:55 AM
- Mayor Francis unhappy over disarmament of cop by bandits November 19, 2019 7:34 AM