Share This On:
(PRESS RELEASE) — The Saint Lucia Air and Sea Ports Authority (SLASPA) in collaboration with the Royal Saint
Lucia Police Force (RSLPF) conducted a mandatory seaport simulation exercise at the Castries Seaport today, October 10, 2019.
The simulation exercise was in keeping with the international maritime regulations of the International Ship and Port Facility Security Code (ISPS). ISPS is an essential maritime regulation for the safety and security of ships, ports, cargo and crew.
As a member state of the International Maritime Organization (IMO), Saint Lucia is mandated through the ISPS to conduct a security emergency simulation exercise every 18 months.
Deputy Chief of Port Police, David P. Maitre, in addressing the urgency of this exercise for SLASPA, and by extension St. Lucia, in meeting international requirements, stated: “The goal of this exercise was to ensure that through practice, we are in the best state of preparedness to respond to an emergency should and when one occurs. The exercise challenged the capacity of our department to protect and serve customers, passengers, vessels, employees, property and equipment.”
The simulation tested coordinated responses by the various agencies, presented an opportunity for those agencies to practice protocols as well as determine strengths and or weaknesses and recommend necessary action in the future.
- Department of Health and Wellness prepares for new strain of coronavirus January 22, 2020 11:38 AM
- St Lucia captures numerous accolades at 27th Annual World Travel Awards January 22, 2020 11:25 AM
- Young Saint Lucian chef featured at restaurant in Taiwan January 22, 2020 8:28 AM
- Saint Lucia benefits from support to National Utilities Regulatory Commission January 21, 2020 3:52 PM
- Internal fault triggers system shut down January 21, 2020 11:23 AM
- Keymanie shines as repeat junior golf champ January 21, 2020 11:14 AM
- Prime Minister meets with Caribbean Development Bank January 20, 2020 2:41 PM
- Saint Lucia ends 40th year of Independence with over 400k stay-over arrivals January 20, 2020 11:51 AM
- Micoud South drainage contracts signed to alleviate flooding January 20, 2020 9:14 AM