Share This On:
(PRESS RELEASE) — The Saint Lucia Air and Sea Ports Authority (SLASPA) in collaboration with the Royal Saint
Lucia Police Force (RSLPF) conducted a mandatory seaport simulation exercise at the Castries Seaport today, October 10, 2019.
The simulation exercise was in keeping with the international maritime regulations of the International Ship and Port Facility Security Code (ISPS). ISPS is an essential maritime regulation for the safety and security of ships, ports, cargo and crew.
As a member state of the International Maritime Organization (IMO), Saint Lucia is mandated through the ISPS to conduct a security emergency simulation exercise every 18 months.
Deputy Chief of Port Police, David P. Maitre, in addressing the urgency of this exercise for SLASPA, and by extension St. Lucia, in meeting international requirements, stated: “The goal of this exercise was to ensure that through practice, we are in the best state of preparedness to respond to an emergency should and when one occurs. The exercise challenged the capacity of our department to protect and serve customers, passengers, vessels, employees, property and equipment.”
The simulation tested coordinated responses by the various agencies, presented an opportunity for those agencies to practice protocols as well as determine strengths and or weaknesses and recommend necessary action in the future.
- Three nabbed in connection with Dennery armed robbery October 19, 2019 10:13 PM
- Slain Jamaican guard was planning to bring ‘partner’, relatives to Saint Lucia: sources October 19, 2019 8:16 PM
- Gros Islet man chopped in the neck in stable condition: official October 19, 2019 12:02 PM
- Man shot in Jetrine, Saltibus October 19, 2019 11:45 AM
- Saint Lucians seek Cricket West Indies Level 1 Coaches certification October 19, 2019 9:34 AM
- UPDATE: Jamaican security guard gunned down in Balata October 19, 2019 9:16 AM
- UPDATE: Man found stabbed to death in Vieux Fort identified October 19, 2019 8:43 AM
- BREAKING NEWS: Man found dead in Vieux Fort October 19, 2019 8:08 AM
- Saint Lucia’s Johnson Charles to play in United Arab Emirates T10 October 19, 2019 7:50 AM