Share This On:
PRESS RELEASE – Sir Derek Alton Walcott, KCSL OBE OCC, who died at home in Saint Lucia on Friday March 17, 2017, is to receive a state funeral.
The Cabinet of Ministers approved the decision on Monday in light of the contribution by Sir Derek Walcott to Saint Lucia.
This highest national honour, normally reserved for heads of state and government, has been conferred on Sir Derek out of respect for his exceptional contribution to the literary and artistic legacy of Saint Lucia, the Caribbean and the world.
The funeral of Sir Derek Walcott, poet, artist, playwright, and 1992 Nobel Laureate in Literature, will take place at the Basilica of the Immaculate Conception in the City of Castries, on Saturday, March 25, 2017, at 2:00PM.
Prior to the funeral, the body of the late Sir Derek will lie in state in Parliament, with public viewing from 11:00AM to 1:00PM.
Given the anticipated attendance of numerous fellow artists, foreign dignitaries and officials, arrangements are also being made for a live public screening of the funeral service at the Derek Walcott Square.
It has also been confirmed that Sir Derek will be laid to rest at Morne Fortune, near the Inniskilling Monument, a site vested in the Saint Lucia National Trust and within close proximity of fellow Laureate, Sir Arthur Lewis.
Preceding the state funeral, an evening of tribute and celebration will be held on Friday, March 24th, at the National Cultural Centre, starting at 7:00PM. This event is open to the public will be hosted by the Cultural Development Foundation. It will include readings, recitations and performances by local and visiting artists, writers and musicians.
- PM Chastanet promises super-rich Saint Lucia citizenship in three months November 18, 2019 11:55 AM
- Guy Joseph shoots down reports of complete St. Jude Hospital demolition November 18, 2019 10:26 AM
- Central Statistical Office launches Census 2020 recruitment drive November 18, 2019 12:16 AM
- Saint Lucia gov’t launches programme to boost local production of 7 key fruits, vegetables November 17, 2019 9:50 PM
- Fuel prices change November 17, 2019 7:00 PM
- Kindergarten registration takes on a new approach November 17, 2019 12:51 PM
- Two in custody in connection with Mon Repos businessman’s death November 12, 2019 11:08 AM
- Saint Lucia calls up UK-based goalkeeper Lamar Johnson November 12, 2019 10:46 AM
- Tourism ministry spearheads plan to ease traffic congestion in downtown Castries November 12, 2019 10:04 AM