Share This On:
rt(PRESS RELEASE) – A TROPICAL STORM WATCH IS IN EFFECT FOR SAINT LUCIA.
AT 8:00 P.M. TODAY, THE CENTER OF TROPICAL STORM MARIA WAS CENTERED NEAR LATITUDE 12.4 NORTH, LONGITUDE 53.0 WEST OR 543 MILES OR 873 KM EAST SOUTHEAST OF SAINT LUCIA. MARIA IS MOVING TOWARD THE WEST NEAR 19 MPH OR 30 KM/H.
A SLOWER WEST-NORTHWEST MOTION IS EXPECTED DURING THE NEXT COUPLE OF DAYS. ON THE FORECAST TRACK, THE SYSTEM IS EXPECTED TO APPROACH THE LEEWARD ISLANDS ON MONDAY.
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS ARE NEAR 50 MPH OR 85 KM/H WITH HIGHER GUSTS. ADDITIONAL STRENGTHENING IS EXPECTED DURING THE NEXT 48 HOURS AND MARIA IS FORECAST TO BE A HURRICANE WHEN IT APPROACHES THE LEEWARD ISLANDS EARLY NEXT WEEK.
TROPICAL-STORM-FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP TO 45 MILES (75 KM) FROM THE CENTER.
REPEATING THE 8:00 P.M. POSITION OF TROPICAL STORM MARIA, LATITUDE 12.4 NORTH, LONGITUDE 53.0 WEST OR 543 MILES OR 873 KM EAST SOUTHEAST OF SAINT LUCIA.
SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS ASSOCIATED WITH THE OUTER BANDS OF THIS SYSTEM IS EXPECTED TO AFFECT SAINT LUCIA LATE SUNDAY.
RESIDENTS OF SAINT LUCIA AND THE REST OF THE WINDWARD AND LEEWARD ISLANDS ARE ASKED TO CLOSELY MONITOR THE PROGRESS OF THIS SYSTEM. PERSONS LIVING IN AREAS PRONE TO FLOODING AND LANDSLIDES SHOULD TAKE ALL NECESSARY PRECAUTIONS AGAINST THESE HAZARDS.
THIS IS THE FOURTH ADVISORY ISSUED BY THE SAINT LUCIA METEOROLOGICAL OFFICE ON THIS SYSTEM.
THE NEXT ADVISORY WILL BE ISSUED AT 11:00 PM TODAY.
- Kobe Bryant dies in helicopter crash January 26, 2020 6:04 PM
- Ministry of Agriculture promotes green economy January 24, 2020 2:09 PM
- Queens Commonwealth Essay Competition announces winners January 24, 2020 9:52 AM
- Risk of coronavirus in Caribbean ‘low’ says CARPHA January 23, 2020 3:07 PM
- Meeting with US Secretary of State: Saint Lucia and US continue to strengthen ties January 23, 2020 9:00 AM
- Department of Health and Wellness prepares for new strain of coronavirus January 22, 2020 11:38 AM
- St Lucia captures numerous accolades at 27th Annual World Travel Awards January 22, 2020 11:25 AM
- Young Saint Lucian chef featured at restaurant in Taiwan January 22, 2020 8:28 AM
- Saint Lucia benefits from support to National Utilities Regulatory Commission January 21, 2020 3:52 PM