Share This On:
rt(PRESS RELEASE) – A TROPICAL STORM WATCH IS IN EFFECT FOR SAINT LUCIA.
AT 8:00 P.M. TODAY, THE CENTER OF TROPICAL STORM MARIA WAS CENTERED NEAR LATITUDE 12.4 NORTH, LONGITUDE 53.0 WEST OR 543 MILES OR 873 KM EAST SOUTHEAST OF SAINT LUCIA. MARIA IS MOVING TOWARD THE WEST NEAR 19 MPH OR 30 KM/H.
A SLOWER WEST-NORTHWEST MOTION IS EXPECTED DURING THE NEXT COUPLE OF DAYS. ON THE FORECAST TRACK, THE SYSTEM IS EXPECTED TO APPROACH THE LEEWARD ISLANDS ON MONDAY.
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS ARE NEAR 50 MPH OR 85 KM/H WITH HIGHER GUSTS. ADDITIONAL STRENGTHENING IS EXPECTED DURING THE NEXT 48 HOURS AND MARIA IS FORECAST TO BE A HURRICANE WHEN IT APPROACHES THE LEEWARD ISLANDS EARLY NEXT WEEK.
TROPICAL-STORM-FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP TO 45 MILES (75 KM) FROM THE CENTER.
REPEATING THE 8:00 P.M. POSITION OF TROPICAL STORM MARIA, LATITUDE 12.4 NORTH, LONGITUDE 53.0 WEST OR 543 MILES OR 873 KM EAST SOUTHEAST OF SAINT LUCIA.
SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS ASSOCIATED WITH THE OUTER BANDS OF THIS SYSTEM IS EXPECTED TO AFFECT SAINT LUCIA LATE SUNDAY.
RESIDENTS OF SAINT LUCIA AND THE REST OF THE WINDWARD AND LEEWARD ISLANDS ARE ASKED TO CLOSELY MONITOR THE PROGRESS OF THIS SYSTEM. PERSONS LIVING IN AREAS PRONE TO FLOODING AND LANDSLIDES SHOULD TAKE ALL NECESSARY PRECAUTIONS AGAINST THESE HAZARDS.
THIS IS THE FOURTH ADVISORY ISSUED BY THE SAINT LUCIA METEOROLOGICAL OFFICE ON THIS SYSTEM.
THE NEXT ADVISORY WILL BE ISSUED AT 11:00 PM TODAY.
- Two in custody in connection with Mon Repos businessman’s death November 12, 2019 11:08 AM
- Saint Lucia calls up UK-based goalkeeper Lamar Johnson November 12, 2019 10:46 AM
- Tourism ministry spearheads plan to ease traffic congestion in downtown Castries November 12, 2019 10:04 AM
- BREAKING NEWS: Mon Repos businessman succumbs to gunshot wound November 11, 2019 7:35 PM
- Former Saint Lucia top cop Vernon Francois talks about the launch of his digital books November 9, 2019 11:18 PM
- 76-year-old businessman shot in Mon Repos November 9, 2019 9:07 PM
- Gunmen attack, rob bar manager in Jetrine, Saltibus November 9, 2019 6:29 PM
- Entrepot, Sir Ira and Bocage secondary schools to remain closed on Monday November 9, 2019 5:55 PM
- Women who fought with Ciceron Secondary students speak out! November 9, 2019 5:28 PM