Share This On:
(GIS) – The OECS and the National Council of and for Persons with Disabilities (NCPD), with support from the UNDP, recently concluded a training session on the production of basic prosthetic limbs.
The training provided capacity building for income generation among the participants, while also enhancing quality of life of Persons with disabilities through the provision of prosthetic limbs. Trainees will be earning a living by making limbs for sale.
Prosthetic limbs are vital to many citizens including persons who have been confronted with an unavoidable amputation. However, patients are often required to seek health assistance overseas which represented a major financial obstacle.
The two-week workshop was funded by the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) in collaboration with the OECS Commission and hosted at the NCPD Rehabilitation and Repairs Center in Vieux Fort under the coordination of NCPD’s prosthetic technician Mr. Andrew Collymore. The medical specialist completed a certification in Prosthetic Limb and Caliper Fabrication at the MUKTI Artificial Limb Center in India.
Dr. Grace-Ann Cornwall, Head of the Social Development Unit and Ms. Sharon Jacob, Administrative Assistant represented the OECS Commission at the event organised for the closure of the training session.
The workshop enabled seven participants to manage the production process of basic prosthetic limbs and learn technical and professional terminologies related to that particular medical area. Participants were grateful for the training which now provides them with an opportunity for self-employment as they are now able to respond to a critical need within the local market.
All participants were awarded with certificates attesting the successful completion of the programme.
- Saint Lucian in Taiwan’s top TV singing contest November 19, 2019 8:06 AM
- Turmoil in Dominica as protesters and police clash (see video) November 19, 2019 7:55 AM
- Mayor Francis unhappy over disarmament of cop by bandits November 19, 2019 7:34 AM
- CSA happy over collective agreement with LUCELEC but … November 19, 2019 7:19 AM
- Saint Lucia Forensic Lab working to build public confidence, says director November 19, 2019 4:31 AM
- PM Chastanet promises super-rich Saint Lucia citizenship in three months November 18, 2019 11:55 AM
- Guy Joseph shoots down reports of complete St. Jude Hospital demolition November 18, 2019 10:26 AM
- Central Statistical Office launches Census 2020 recruitment drive November 18, 2019 12:16 AM
- Saint Lucia gov’t launches programme to boost local production of 7 key fruits, vegetables November 17, 2019 9:50 PM