Share This On:
In light of the increasing number of rape cases being reported, Prime Minister Dr. Kenny Anthony used the opportunity at a Saint Lucia Labour Party (SLP), meeting to speak out on the issue.
The Prime Minister said he strongly believes that there are serial rapists on Saint Lucia and said everything must be done to get them and have them face the full force of the law.
But the SLP political leader also expressed his displeasure with the current court system, where a victim is required to give evidence before a judge and jury in the full view of persons in the gallery.
He described it as dehumanizing and said he would like to see that it is changed, so that women who are victims of rape, do not have to go through that embarrassing phase each time.
“We do not subject men to that kind of torture,” Dr. Anthony asserted.
The Prime Minister also reiterated the need for the Police Force to establish a unit that will specifically deal with issues relating to rape and violence against women.
Police recently arrested a 27-year-old man for raping a 51-year-old woman at Mon Repos. The victim claims she was followed behind a pre-school where she went to urinate and was raped.
She also claims that she related the story to a police officer in the area after the incident had occurred, and he told her that he was off duty and refused to assist her.
The victim told this publication that she is depressed by the situation and would like to see her alleged attacker face the full force of the law, while explaining that he is old enough to be her child.
More Politics Stories
- Horse racing event a fraud on the people of St Lucia – SLP December 12, 2019
- Hilaire continues to sell out Saint Lucia – UWP December 6, 2019
- Sittings of the House of Assembly and the Senate December 6, 2019
- Senate sitting, today December 3, 2019
- SLP is pleased to once again respond to UWP on Juffali questions December 2, 2019
- UWP demands answers from SLP on former Saint Lucian diplomat November 29, 2019