The Office of the Prime will soon be in a position to announce a selection for the design of the Morne Sion Monument to memorialize the lives of the 19 persons who tragically lost their on November 10, 2011.
Following the announcement by the Governor General of Saint Lucia in the Throne Speech of the formal opening of the first session of the Tenth Parliament of Saint Lucia, the Office of the Prime Minister organized a design competition which sought to capture the memory of the event as well as the hope that all affected by the tragedy would one day find peace.
The submissions were reviewed by a committee comprising the following persons:
1. Mr. Darrel Montrope (Cabinet Secretary);
2. Ms. Josette Maxwell Dalsou (Office of the Prime Minister);
3. Mr. Adrian Augier (Private Citizen);
4. Ms. Jeanette Hughes (Ministry of Social Transformation, Local Government and Community Empowerment);
5. Mrs. Maureen Louis (Saint Lucia National Trust);
6. Mr. Nigel Mitchel (Ministry of Tourism, Heritage and Creative Industries);
7. Mr. Kennedy Samuel (Cultural Development Foundation); and
8. Mr. Howard Wells (Ministry of Physical Development, Housing and Urban Renewal.
The Cabinet of Ministers reviewed the recommendation of the Committee and has agreed to share the designs with the families of those who died on that tragic day, before announcing its final decision.
The Government of Saint Lucia thanks all who participated in the competition and urges all Saint Lucians to join with the families and communities affected by this tragedy on Saturday, November 10, 2012 at the Choiseul Catholic Church from 2:00 p.m., where a remembrance service will be held to mark the first anniversary of the accident.