Share This On:
(SNO) — Two of Saint Lucia’s top distance runners were able to help make history in Martinique over the weekend, as they competed for French club, Golden Star, in the 79th running of the Course du Souvenir Remembrance Relay.
Zepherinus Joseph and Jason Sayers helped Golden Star place third in a nine-team field. Golden Star’s women also took second place. The Sunday morning outing included a total of 33 teams.
Not since 1954 had Golden Star placed in the top three men’s teams at la Souvenir. Joseph, a 2004 Olympian in men’s Marathon, and two-time Saint Lucia Sportsman of the Year, was utterly delighted: “Today we placed third overall. Big up to all my Golden teammates on a job well done.”
Among the men, Golden Star was behind Club Peleen and Athletic Club Saleen, with ASC Police (featuring Saint Lucia’s Winsbert Sylvester) in fourth, and Golden Star’s B team in fifth.
Golden Star women were behind only Mairie Sportive, with Saleen and Golden Star 2 in third and fourth.
- Risk of coronavirus in Caribbean ‘low’ says CARPHA January 23, 2020 3:07 PM
- Meeting with US Secretary of State: Saint Lucia and US continue to strengthen ties January 23, 2020 9:00 AM
- Department of Health and Wellness prepares for new strain of coronavirus January 22, 2020 11:38 AM
- St Lucia captures numerous accolades at 27th Annual World Travel Awards January 22, 2020 11:25 AM
- Young Saint Lucian chef featured at restaurant in Taiwan January 22, 2020 8:28 AM
- Saint Lucia benefits from support to National Utilities Regulatory Commission January 21, 2020 3:52 PM
- Internal fault triggers system shut down January 21, 2020 11:23 AM
- Keymanie shines as repeat junior golf champ January 21, 2020 11:14 AM
- Prime Minister meets with Caribbean Development Bank January 20, 2020 2:41 PM