Share This On:
(SNO) — Two of Saint Lucia’s top distance runners were able to help make history in Martinique over the weekend, as they competed for French club, Golden Star, in the 79th running of the Course du Souvenir Remembrance Relay.
Zepherinus Joseph and Jason Sayers helped Golden Star place third in a nine-team field. Golden Star’s women also took second place. The Sunday morning outing included a total of 33 teams.
Not since 1954 had Golden Star placed in the top three men’s teams at la Souvenir. Joseph, a 2004 Olympian in men’s Marathon, and two-time Saint Lucia Sportsman of the Year, was utterly delighted: “Today we placed third overall. Big up to all my Golden teammates on a job well done.”
Among the men, Golden Star was behind Club Peleen and Athletic Club Saleen, with ASC Police (featuring Saint Lucia’s Winsbert Sylvester) in fourth, and Golden Star’s B team in fifth.
Golden Star women were behind only Mairie Sportive, with Saleen and Golden Star 2 in third and fourth.
- Senior citizen stabbed multiple times in Bocage October 21, 2019 1:14 PM
- UPDATE: Two dead after Castries motorcycle crash October 21, 2019 12:32 PM
- UPDATE: Fatal accident in Castries October 21, 2019 12:02 PM
- Soca artiste launches ‘Born Lucian’ clothing brand October 21, 2019 11:01 AM
- Gas, diesel prices increased; cylinder prices decreased October 21, 2019 10:36 AM
- RC Infant school to now remain closed until Tuesday, Oct 22 October 21, 2019 10:21 AM
- Saint Lucia government approves barrel concessions October 21, 2019 10:13 AM
- Three nabbed in connection with Dennery armed robbery October 19, 2019 10:13 PM
- Slain Jamaican guard was planning to bring ‘partner’, relatives to Saint Lucia: sources October 19, 2019 8:16 PM