Share This On:
(PRESS RELEASE) – The trendy and highly-sought-after Caribbean destination of Saint Lucia continues to bask in the news of more record growth for the island’s leading economic driver, the tourism industry.
According to the latest figures released to industry partners, the month of July saw Saint Lucia recording not only the highest number of visitor arrival figures ever recorded for the month of July, but also for any one month period in the island’s history. This surpasses the record set last March by 2.5% when 41,741 visitors stayed on the island.
In July 2019 Saint Lucia welcomed a total of 42,773 visitors, an increase of 13% or roughly 5,000 additional visitors from July last year. The US market grew by a whopping 23%, owing largely to the hosting of Carnival activities and the additional airlift from American Airlines out of Miami. The Caribbean market recorded 6% growth due to a series of summer vacation campaigns notably Carnival, Caribcation, Mercury Fest, the hosting of the Caricom Heads of Government Summit and the introduction of the second Capo Rosso ferry from Martinique.
Arrivals from France grew by 2%, the rest of Europe by 17% and the rest of the World by 61%.
Despite the overwhelmingly positive increases there were however some decreases in arrivals for the month of July from three markets, namely the UK 3%, Canada 3%, and Germany 18%.
Notwithstanding this, Tourism Minister Dominic Fedee says Year To Date July 2019, all markets are recording growth, except Canada and France, which are down 3.5% and 0.5% respectively.
Minister Fedee, who also holds the portfolios of culture and creative industries, notes that due to this double-digit increase recorded in July, together with the increases from the previous months, YTD stay-over arrivals are now 7.5% higher than the same period last year.
For more information about Saint Lucia, visit www.stlucia.org or call 1-800-456-3984, or 1-888 4STLUCIA
- Saint Lucians seek Cricket West Indies Level 1 Coaches certification October 19, 2019 9:34 AM
- UPDATE: Jamaican security guard gunned down in Balata October 19, 2019 9:16 AM
- UPDATE: Man found stabbed to death in Vieux Fort identified October 19, 2019 8:43 AM
- BREAKING NEWS: Man found dead in Vieux Fort October 19, 2019 8:08 AM
- Saint Lucia’s Johnson Charles to play in United Arab Emirates T10 October 19, 2019 7:50 AM
- Saint Lucia’s Meggan William stars in US university tennis tournament October 19, 2019 7:16 AM
- BREAKING NEWS: Chopping in Gros Islet October 18, 2019 8:56 PM
- UPDATE: Guardsman security guard fatally shot in Balata identified; firearm stolen October 18, 2019 6:50 PM
- Saint Lucian basketballer goes pro October 18, 2019 6:28 PM