Share This On:
The United States Collegiate Athletic Association (USCAA) has announced Saint Lucia international forward Lyla Lionel (Bryant & Stratton College – Syracuse) as its women’s soccer Division I Player of the Year.
Lionel led Division I with 23 goals in 14 games, and on just 61 shots, adding six assists for a league-leading 52 points.
Three of her goals were game-winners, and she edged teammate Marie Seeger for the goal-scoring lead. Seeger scored 22 goals on 69 shots.
Lionel, 22 years old, and hailing from Vieux Fort, played in Germany prior to making her under-20 debut for Saint Lucia.
She then moved on to Essex Junior College in New Jersey, subsequent to which she took up her current challenge at BSC-S, where she is in her junior year.
In action today (Friday) as part of the 2019 USCAA Division I Women’s Soccer National Championship, Lionel will be hoping to guide her top-seeded team past Saint Mary-Of-The-Woods College in Virginia Beach, Virginia, at the Princess Anne Athletic Complex.
The fourth-seeded Pomeroys are built on stout defense, and Lionel and Seeger will have their hands full going for the win.
- Kobe Bryant dies in helicopter crash January 26, 2020 6:04 PM
- Ministry of Agriculture promotes green economy January 24, 2020 2:09 PM
- Queens Commonwealth Essay Competition announces winners January 24, 2020 9:52 AM
- Risk of coronavirus in Caribbean ‘low’ says CARPHA January 23, 2020 3:07 PM
- Meeting with US Secretary of State: Saint Lucia and US continue to strengthen ties January 23, 2020 9:00 AM
- Department of Health and Wellness prepares for new strain of coronavirus January 22, 2020 11:38 AM
- St Lucia captures numerous accolades at 27th Annual World Travel Awards January 22, 2020 11:25 AM
- Young Saint Lucian chef featured at restaurant in Taiwan January 22, 2020 8:28 AM
- Saint Lucia benefits from support to National Utilities Regulatory Commission January 21, 2020 3:52 PM