Share This On:
The United States Collegiate Athletic Association (USCAA) has announced Saint Lucia international forward Lyla Lionel (Bryant & Stratton College – Syracuse) as its women’s soccer Division I Player of the Year.
Lionel led Division I with 23 goals in 14 games, and on just 61 shots, adding six assists for a league-leading 52 points.
Three of her goals were game-winners, and she edged teammate Marie Seeger for the goal-scoring lead. Seeger scored 22 goals on 69 shots.
Lionel, 22 years old, and hailing from Vieux Fort, played in Germany prior to making her under-20 debut for Saint Lucia.
She then moved on to Essex Junior College in New Jersey, subsequent to which she took up her current challenge at BSC-S, where she is in her junior year.
In action today (Friday) as part of the 2019 USCAA Division I Women’s Soccer National Championship, Lionel will be hoping to guide her top-seeded team past Saint Mary-Of-The-Woods College in Virginia Beach, Virginia, at the Princess Anne Athletic Complex.
The fourth-seeded Pomeroys are built on stout defense, and Lionel and Seeger will have their hands full going for the win.
- Two in custody in connection with Mon Repos businessman’s death November 12, 2019 11:08 AM
- Saint Lucia calls up UK-based goalkeeper Lamar Johnson November 12, 2019 10:46 AM
- Tourism ministry spearheads plan to ease traffic congestion in downtown Castries November 12, 2019 10:04 AM
- BREAKING NEWS: Mon Repos businessman succumbs to gunshot wound November 11, 2019 7:35 PM
- Former Saint Lucia top cop Vernon Francois talks about the launch of his digital books November 9, 2019 11:18 PM
- 76-year-old businessman shot in Mon Repos November 9, 2019 9:07 PM
- Gunmen attack, rob bar manager in Jetrine, Saltibus November 9, 2019 6:29 PM
- Entrepot, Sir Ira and Bocage secondary schools to remain closed on Monday November 9, 2019 5:55 PM
- Women who fought with Ciceron Secondary students speak out! November 9, 2019 5:28 PM