Share This On:
(SNO) — With Saint Lucia gearing up to celebrate 40 years of independence, residents are being called to fast and pray for the nation.
The call is coming from Rosemary Husbands-Mathurin, chairperson of the independence sub-committee responsible for faith-based groups.
She said churches, faith-based groups and religions organizations have put together what is described as a “comprehensive” prayer program for Saint Lucia, and a 40-day fasting event has already started.
“It all started on January 13 with a 40-day prayer and healing for the nation which will end on February 21,” Husband-Mathurin explained. “Forty is known to be significant for biblical reasons and so we are calling on the nation to join us in fasting. And there are various ways one can fast during this period, not just the complete abstaining from food.”
Some of the other prayer activities will include various faiths engaging in prayer, some in English and Creole, until independence.
Each morning until independence, various faiths will engage in prayer, in English and Creole, prayer and worship at various squares and open spaces across the island; a prayer train was started island-wide on January 26; and an ecumenical service at five locations on February 17. The governor-general, parliamentarians, and other dignitaries will be invited to attend the services. An all-night vigil was held on February 1.
The theme for this year’s celebration of independence is “All In, Our Journey, Our Future” but organizers of the faith-based programs have come up with a sub-theme.
“‘It is our Nation, our Journey Come Thus Far by faith’ and we will have various banners around the island proclaiming this,” Husbands-Mathurin explained.
Saint Lucia celebrates its independence on February 22.
- Saint Lucia misses Gold Cup playoffs after falling to Montserrat November 20, 2019 12:08 AM
- US government warns of travel to Dominica; calls for restraint November 19, 2019 6:34 PM
- Dominica’s opposition leader strikes back; blames police for unrest in Roseau November 19, 2019 6:19 PM
- OECS chairman calls for “calm” in Dominica November 19, 2019 5:19 PM
- UPDATE: Dominica’s PM condemns unrest in Roseau; blames opposition UWP (see video) November 19, 2019 4:23 PM
- Saint Lucian in Taiwan’s top TV singing contest November 19, 2019 8:06 AM
- Turmoil in Dominica as protesters and police clash (see video) November 19, 2019 7:55 AM
- Mayor Francis unhappy over disarmament of cop by bandits November 19, 2019 7:34 AM
- CSA happy over collective agreement with LUCELEC but … November 19, 2019 7:19 AM