Share This On:
(SNO) – People from neighbouring islands, particularly Saint Lucians, are being blamed for the recent spate of robberies with violence and robberies under the threat of firearms in Martinique, according to reports.
In one of the most prominent incidents, a 19-year-old was shot to death on July 7, 2018 when he refused to surrender his motorcycle to two individuals who are believed to be foreigners.
According to media reports, his death shocked Martinique which has seen an increase in the reports of violent robberies and robberies under the threat of firearms in recent weeks.
Some eyewitnesses have told the media that the crimes have been committed by people from neighbouring islands including Saint Lucia.
A source told St. Lucia News Online (SNO) that “a lot of Saint Lucians” are coming to Martinique and stealing motorcycles.
The source said at least one person has died as a result of these robberies.
“Yesterday again they stole another motorcycle. Last week they saw some Saint Lucian putting a motorcycle called a stunt into a boat. The French people are getting very upset now,” the source said.
- Three officers injured in Salisbury operation in Dominica December 5, 2019 6:59 PM
- Dominican chastises regional leaders including PM Chastanet December 5, 2019 3:41 PM
- Traffic Delays along Castries/Gros Islet Highway December 5, 2019 1:45 PM
- Government moves to protect the pensions of Millennium Heights Employees December 5, 2019 8:52 AM
- Catholic church in Dominica condemns ‘disrespectful’ behavior towards senior clergymen December 5, 2019 6:37 AM
- Uncertainty as civil unrest continues in Dominica December 4, 2019 9:56 AM
- Police fire live ammunition, tear gas in Dominica protest (See video) December 3, 2019 4:16 PM
- Saint Lucian sculptor Jallim Eudovic to receive major Caribbean Award December 3, 2019 2:16 PM
- Botham Jean’s brother receives police award December 3, 2019 1:45 PM