Share This On:
(SNO) – People from neighbouring islands, particularly Saint Lucians, are being blamed for the recent spate of robberies with violence and robberies under the threat of firearms in Martinique, according to reports.
In one of the most prominent incidents, a 19-year-old was shot to death on July 7, 2018 when he refused to surrender his motorcycle to two individuals who are believed to be foreigners.
According to media reports, his death shocked Martinique which has seen an increase in the reports of violent robberies and robberies under the threat of firearms in recent weeks.
Some eyewitnesses have told the media that the crimes have been committed by people from neighbouring islands including Saint Lucia.
A source told St. Lucia News Online (SNO) that “a lot of Saint Lucians” are coming to Martinique and stealing motorcycles.
The source said at least one person has died as a result of these robberies.
“Yesterday again they stole another motorcycle. Last week they saw some Saint Lucian putting a motorcycle called a stunt into a boat. The French people are getting very upset now,” the source said.
- Department of Health and Wellness prepares for new strain of coronavirus January 22, 2020 11:38 AM
- St Lucia captures numerous accolades at 27th Annual World Travel Awards January 22, 2020 11:25 AM
- Young Saint Lucian chef featured at restaurant in Taiwan January 22, 2020 8:28 AM
- Saint Lucia benefits from support to National Utilities Regulatory Commission January 21, 2020 3:52 PM
- Internal fault triggers system shut down January 21, 2020 11:23 AM
- Keymanie shines as repeat junior golf champ January 21, 2020 11:14 AM
- Prime Minister meets with Caribbean Development Bank January 20, 2020 2:41 PM
- Saint Lucia ends 40th year of Independence with over 400k stay-over arrivals January 20, 2020 11:51 AM
- Micoud South drainage contracts signed to alleviate flooding January 20, 2020 9:14 AM