Share This On:
(SNO) — A local tennis coach is developing his skills with a months-long course in the United Kingdom.
Stephen Marcelle, who operates Marcelle’s Tennis Academy in the south of Saint Lucia, and who has worked as a professional coach at Coconut Bay Resort in Vieux Fort, is presently in Exeter, England, where he is pursuing the LTA (Lawn Tennis Association) Level 3 coaching qualification.
Marcelle has been coaching for over 40 years, and in 1989, he was trained at the Nick Bollieterri Tennis Academy. And now, with the LTA Level 3 course, he is expecting to be in an even better position to give back to the sport, and to help evolve the skills of young players in Saint Lucia.
Says Marcelle: “The course is quite in-depth and extensive. It is a very rich learning environment, with experienced instructors, and my colleague coaches also bring a wealth of knowledge to the table. So we are sharing and pooling our information, with a view to becoming better coaches.”
The Level 3 Coach Qualification is for people who want to work full time within the tennis coaching profession. On successful completion of the coach qualification, candidates will be able to coach beginners and improvers in groups and as individuals, understand the basics of business management, and understand the competitive structure in the UK. They will be able to manage the work of level 1 and 2 coaching assistants.
The course is over 14 days split into 4 modules of 3 days each and 2 assessment days, running until June of this year. There is a gap between modules to allow coaches to experience 27 hours of coaching on before moving through the course. Candidates must attend and pass all modules on the course to be successful.
Eligible candidates must hold the Level 2 Coaching Assistant Qualification, be LTA-registered, or have an enhanced DBS check, have (or have had) a rating of 6.1 or play-test-grade of 1 and hold a valid First Aid Certificate.
LTA is the National Governing Body for tennis in Great Britain, Channel Islands and the Isle of Man.
- PM Chastanet promises super-rich Saint Lucia citizenship in three months November 18, 2019 11:55 AM
- Guy Joseph shoots down reports of complete St. Jude Hospital demolition November 18, 2019 10:26 AM
- Central Statistical Office launches Census 2020 recruitment drive November 18, 2019 12:16 AM
- Saint Lucia gov’t launches programme to boost local production of 7 key fruits, vegetables November 17, 2019 9:50 PM
- Fuel prices change November 17, 2019 7:00 PM
- Kindergarten registration takes on a new approach November 17, 2019 12:51 PM
- Two in custody in connection with Mon Repos businessman’s death November 12, 2019 11:08 AM
- Saint Lucia calls up UK-based goalkeeper Lamar Johnson November 12, 2019 10:46 AM
- Tourism ministry spearheads plan to ease traffic congestion in downtown Castries November 12, 2019 10:04 AM