Share This On:
(PRESS RELEASE VIA SNO) – On June 8, 2018, the Government of St. Lucia will launch Saint Lucia Open Data, (data.govt.lc).
The objective is to make government data more readily available and accessible. Dozens of datasets have already been released by the various ministries across government and this data can support informed public debate on several issues.
As a precursor to the launch of Saint Lucia Open Data, a Data Literacy Boot Camp has been planned and will take place from June 05-07, at the National ICT Centre on Bourbon Street. It is designed around the question: “Now that data has been ‘opened’, how can it be readily used by the media, civil society, community groups, NGOs, entrepreneurs, researchers, professional association and universities?
Several data literacy experts and trainers from the World Bank Group, SlashRoots Foundation, Code for Africa, the International Center for Journalists and the Department of Public Service will be facilitating the three-day hands-on exercises, placing special focus on core skills development for ‘Data Literacy.
Sustained follow-up is vital, and therefore, participants will be invited to join a community group to bring together data consumers for monthly meet-ups to collaborate on digital experiments designed to rethink the way journalists gather, report, and disseminate the news.
The Data Literacy Boot Camp will provide a practical introduction to demystify ‘opened’ data, and encourage participants to become more active agents of their own development.”
More Finance/Business Stories
- Social workers attend software refresher course February 18, 2020
- Global investors look to diversify portfolios amid coronavirus chaos February 18, 2020
- General procurement notice: Closure Plan for Vieux Fort Landfill February 18, 2020
- Three Saint Lucians attend World Summit 2020 in Korea February 17, 2020
- Chamber and SLASPA getting down to the business of Port Castries February 17, 2020
- Small business tax filing workshop February 17, 2020
- Export Saint Lucia set to Launch the National Export Strategy February 17, 2020