Share This On:
(SNO) — Commonwealth Youth Games 100m champion and Youth Olympic Games silver medallist Julien Alfred of Saint Lucia will be joining the University of Texas Longhorns women’s track and field team in 2019.
An alumna of Leon Hess Comprehensive in Saint Lucia and St. Catherine High in Jamaica, the much-sought-after Alfred holds national junior records for the 100m and 200m races.
Following her recent success at the Youth Olympics, Alfred has been heavily recruited by American colleges and universities. Since her fairly recent record-breaking days as a juvenile star under the tutelage of Cuthbert Modeste, she has caught the attention of local track and field fans, and has been tipped to follow in the footsteps of the nation’s most outstanding athletes, such as high jump star, Levern Spencer.
Alfred, who will be studying to become a sports psychologist, had offers from several schools including University of Oregon, Baylor University, South Carolina, Iowa, University of Indiana, Texas Tech and University of Texas San Antonio but chose the Longhorns because of their programme and their coach.
“I chose Texas because I heard a lot the programme and also the coach that’s there, Coach Flo (Eldrick Floreal). I also like the track team. I like the way they do things around there. When I went to visit I observed that everybody gets the special attention that they need, so even though there is a large group, Coach Flo trains everybody in small groups, so everybody gets the attention that they need,” she told Sportsmax TV on Wednesday.
She also revealed that she only did two site visits, Texas San Antonio and the University of Texas. “I don’t want to go anywhere that’s cold,” she said with a laugh.
She begins classes in January 2019.
- BREAKING NEWS: Saint Lucia gov’t denies buying horses or funding racetrack October 21, 2019 2:38 PM
- Three injured in Bexon accident October 21, 2019 2:10 PM
- Senior citizen stabbed multiple times in Bocage October 21, 2019 1:14 PM
- UPDATE: Two dead following Castries accident October 21, 2019 12:32 PM
- UPDATE: Fatal accident in Castries October 21, 2019 12:02 PM
- Entrepot Secondary students sent home early due to “inadequate supervision” October 21, 2019 12:00 PM
- Soca artiste launches ‘Born Lucian’ clothing brand October 21, 2019 11:01 AM
- Gas, diesel prices increased; cylinder prices decreased October 21, 2019 10:36 AM
- RC Infant school to now remain closed until Tuesday, Oct 22 October 21, 2019 10:21 AM