Share This On:
(GIS) — The Saint Lucia Sports Academy has become a home away from home for 37 students.
The school of excellence for sports is the first and only boarding school on the island where students will concentrate on sporting disciplines including cricket, football, and track and field. Academics will also feature prominently within the curriculum.
For the school’s principal, Delia Charles, the initiative by the government of Saint Lucia and the Ministry of Education is welcomed.
“Too often we speak about one size fits all. But we cannot meet the needs of all students as each has unique talents, interests, and capabilities, so the Ministry of Education decided to create something new and different to give students with sporting abilities the facility where they can balance both academics and sports at one institution. It was the dream of Hon. Prime Minister Allen Chastanet, who was wholeheartedly behind the project.”
From dawn to dusk, the students are engaged both physically and mentally in activities that will prepare them to gain sports scholarships abroad.
Victor Cornibert, program director at the Sports Academy, provided a sample of the daily regimen.
“In the morning we begin with general conditioning at 6:30 a.m. That could include running, gym and other exercises. Breakfast is at 7 a.m. and classes begin at 9 a.m. Special sporting training is given at 3:30 p.m. until 5:30 p.m.”
The program also seeks to develop the students holistically.
“In dorm life they learn to socialize and follow rules. We also give them the opportunity to improve on their specialized areas and their academic performance. Academic support will be provided to the students through the help of tutors. We are trying to get a well-rounded, holistic child at the end of that program.”
The students are provided with all the necessary tools and support for the journey ahead including school supplies, uniforms, and equipment. They are also grateful for the opportunity to bond with their peers.
The Saint Lucia Sports Academy opened on Sep. 11, 2019.
- Saint Lucia ends 40th year of Independence with over 400k stay-over arrivals January 20, 2020 11:51 AM
- Micoud South drainage contracts signed to alleviate flooding January 20, 2020 9:14 AM
- Canelles Resort Project begins January 17, 2020 2:52 PM
- St Lucia Jazz and St Lucia Summer Festival 2020 off to an exciting start January 17, 2020 10:00 AM
- Alert of “Assured” brand products January 16, 2020 3:20 PM
- Government aims to reduce serious crime by 45 percent January 16, 2020 2:33 PM
- 2020 Saint Lucia Summer Festival launched January 16, 2020 1:28 PM
- BVI: ‘Earthquake swarm’ leaves researchers puzzled and DDM on ‘high alert’ January 16, 2020 11:37 AM