Share This On:
(GIS) — The Saint Lucia Sports Academy has become a home away from home for 37 students.
The school of excellence for sports is the first and only boarding school on the island where students will concentrate on sporting disciplines including cricket, football, and track and field. Academics will also feature prominently within the curriculum.
For the school’s principal, Delia Charles, the initiative by the government of Saint Lucia and the Ministry of Education is welcomed.
“Too often we speak about one size fits all. But we cannot meet the needs of all students as each has unique talents, interests, and capabilities, so the Ministry of Education decided to create something new and different to give students with sporting abilities the facility where they can balance both academics and sports at one institution. It was the dream of Hon. Prime Minister Allen Chastanet, who was wholeheartedly behind the project.”
From dawn to dusk, the students are engaged both physically and mentally in activities that will prepare them to gain sports scholarships abroad.
Victor Cornibert, program director at the Sports Academy, provided a sample of the daily regimen.
“In the morning we begin with general conditioning at 6:30 a.m. That could include running, gym and other exercises. Breakfast is at 7 a.m. and classes begin at 9 a.m. Special sporting training is given at 3:30 p.m. until 5:30 p.m.”
The program also seeks to develop the students holistically.
“In dorm life they learn to socialize and follow rules. We also give them the opportunity to improve on their specialized areas and their academic performance. Academic support will be provided to the students through the help of tutors. We are trying to get a well-rounded, holistic child at the end of that program.”
The students are provided with all the necessary tools and support for the journey ahead including school supplies, uniforms, and equipment. They are also grateful for the opportunity to bond with their peers.
The Saint Lucia Sports Academy opened on Sep. 11, 2019.
- Three officers injured in Salisbury operation in Dominica says police chief December 5, 2019 6:59 PM
- Dominican chastises regional leaders including PM Chastanet December 5, 2019 3:41 PM
- Traffic Delays along Castries/Gros Islet Highway December 5, 2019 1:45 PM
- Government moves to protect the pensions of Millennium Heights Employees December 5, 2019 8:52 AM
- Catholic church in Dominica condemns ‘disrespectful’ behavior towards senior clergymen December 5, 2019 6:37 AM
- Uncertainty as civil unrest continues in Dominica December 4, 2019 9:56 AM
- Police fire live ammunition, tear gas in Dominica protest (See video) December 3, 2019 4:16 PM
- Saint Lucian sculptor Jallim Eudovic to receive major Caribbean Award December 3, 2019 2:16 PM
- Botham Jean’s brother receives police award December 3, 2019 1:45 PM