Share This On:
CASTRIES, St. Lucia, Mar 5, CMC –The St. Lucia police on Tuesday confirmed that the main suspect in a bomb threat that disrupted operations at the George F.L. Charles Airport late last month has been hospitalised “in a critical condition” after ingesting a “substance”.
The police did not name the individual, who is alleged to have made the bomb threat on February 20, resulting in a three-hour closure of the airport on the outskirts of the capital.
The police said that the suspect was taken into custody on February 28 and “that same evening …was transported to the Victoria Hospital having ingested a substance”.
“The suspect is in a critical condition at a medical facility and has not been charged. Investigations are continuing into this matter,” the police said.
BELOW IS THE FULL PRESS RELEASE FROM THE SAINT LUCIA POLICE
Bomb Threat Update
On Wednesday February 20, 2019 about 6:00am, law enforcement officials responded to a report of a bomb threat at the George F. L. Charles Airport in Vigie.
Normal operations resumed about 9:00am when the all clear was given after a thorough search was conducted.
On Thursday February 28, 2019, one individual was taken into police custody in relation to this incident.
That same evening, the suspect was transported to the Victoria Hospital having ingested a substance.
The suspect is in a critical condition at a medical facility and has not been charged.
Investigations are continuing into this matter.
BELOW IS THE STORY/VIDEO WHEN SNO FIRST REPORTED ON THE INCIDENT
Video: Normal operations resume at George Charles Airport after bomb threat
(SNO) — Authorities have not discovered any bomb and operations have resumed — about three hours after a threat was received at at the George F. L. Charles Airport in Vigie, according to sources.
When the information was received at around 6 a.m., the airport was evacuated and the area cordoned off while officials conducted their investigations.
In a video obtained by St. Lucia News Online, persons are seen waiting on the beach. The video was shot moments after the evacuation.
Below is a gradual update on the situation.
Update at 8:42 a.m.: It appears the threat was a hoax and investigators and airport officials are preparing to resume normal operations at the airport. “Already getting to that point,” a source said.
At 8:50 a.m.: We received news from an employee that some staff are being allowed to re-enter the airport. It is expected that customers will eventually be allowed.
At 9 a.m.: We received news from an employee that the airport is “open now to the public”. Passengers have been checking in, the employee added.