Share This On:
The Royal Saint Lucia Police Force is once again under public scrutiny after a video of a man being beaten by an individual dressed in military uniform normally used by the Force’s Special Services Unit surfaces on social media. SEE VIDEO BELOW ARTICLE
According to reports, the incident occurred Wednesday morning in Vieux Fort.
In the 11-second video, a man on his knees with his hands handcuffed behind him is surrounded by three males — two dressed in military fatigues and the other in normal police uniform.
One of the individuals dressed in military uniform lashes the man in his back three times with what appears to be a cutlass while repeatedly saying “what you doing with that?”
Based on reports, the man being beaten was allegedly caught with the deadly weapon.
“Because he had a cutlass on him he’s a bad man,” one source told St. Lucia News Online. “The officers just pull and started to beat him. I just know he did nothing.”
The police have been criticised harshly on social media since the video appeared on social media.
“Where’s the justice in this. Why are officers assaulting people whilst in handcuffed,” one person told St. Lucia News Online in an email.
Another person told us: “Police are responsible for maintaining public order and safety, enforcing the law, and preventing, detecting, and investigating criminal activities. What is going on here? Is this officer responsible for carrying out justice too??? Was the guy in handcuffs posing a threat to the officer?”
The video called ‘Police brutality in vfort today’ has been uploaded to Youtube. See below:
- Department of Health and Wellness prepares for new strain of coronavirus January 22, 2020 11:38 AM
- St Lucia captures numerous accolades at 27th Annual World Travel Awards January 22, 2020 11:25 AM
- Young Saint Lucian chef featured at restaurant in Taiwan January 22, 2020 8:28 AM
- Saint Lucia benefits from support to National Utilities Regulatory Commission January 21, 2020 3:52 PM
- Internal fault triggers system shut down January 21, 2020 11:23 AM
- Keymanie shines as repeat junior golf champ January 21, 2020 11:14 AM
- Prime Minister meets with Caribbean Development Bank January 20, 2020 2:41 PM
- Saint Lucia ends 40th year of Independence with over 400k stay-over arrivals January 20, 2020 11:51 AM
- Micoud South drainage contracts signed to alleviate flooding January 20, 2020 9:14 AM