Share This On:
(PRESS RELEASE) — The government of Saint Lucia has pledged US$100,000 to provide immediate relief to the Bahamas following the destruction caused by Hurricane Dorian.
The hurricane battered the Abaco Islands and Grand Bahama in the north of the archipelago for two days and it is estimated at least 20 deaths are linked to the hurricane.
The donation by Saint Lucia is done in unity with members of the Organization of Eastern Caribbean States (OECS) who are expected to make a similar pledge and have come out to express their support to the Bahamas during this difficult time.
Prime Minister Allen M. Chastanet, who also serves as CARICOM chairman, is currently in the Bahamas as part of a delegation from CARICOM, Caribbean Disaster Emergency Management Agency (CDEMA), Caribbean Development Bank (CDB) and the Regional Security System (RSS).
The prime minister and the CARICOM team, which also includes Barbados Prime Minister Mia Mottley, have met with Bahamian Prime Minister Hubert Minnis and other officials for a detailed briefing on the state of the country.
Meanwhile, in Saint Lucia, the National Emergency Management Organization (NEMO) continues to work with CDEMA on the immediate needs. NEMO has informed that the immediate needs of the islands are water and water pumps. However, CDEMA has advised that monetary contributions would be easier logistically as procurement of needed items can be purchased at locations closer to the Bahamas. NEMO has circulated via the local media the account numbers in various local banks.
The government of Saint Lucia wishes to thank persons who has expressed interests in this humanitarian thrust.
- Internal fault triggers system shut down January 21, 2020 11:23 AM
- Keymanie shines as repeat junior golf champ January 21, 2020 11:14 AM
- Prime Minister meets with Caribbean Development Bank January 20, 2020 2:41 PM
- Saint Lucia ends 40th year of Independence with over 400k stay-over arrivals January 20, 2020 11:51 AM
- Micoud South drainage contracts signed to alleviate flooding January 20, 2020 9:14 AM
- Canelles Resort Project begins January 17, 2020 2:52 PM
- St Lucia Jazz and St Lucia Summer Festival 2020 off to an exciting start January 17, 2020 10:00 AM
- Alert of “Assured” brand products January 16, 2020 3:20 PM