Share This On:
(CMC) — St Lucia and other countries in the eastern Caribbean have been urged by Human Rights Watch (HRW) to repeal colonial buggery laws.
“The laws have broad latitude, are vaguely worded, and serve to legitimise discrimination and hostility towards LGBT (lesbian, gay, bi-sexual and transgender) people in the Eastern Caribbean,’ the organisation said.
According to HRW, the laws give social and legal sanction for discrimination, violence, stigma, and prejudice against LGBT individuals, by singling out those groups in a discriminatory manner.
HRW disclosed that upon interviewing various citizens of the Eastern Caribbean countries, it was discovered that members of the LGBT community fear coming out to their families or communities, due to experiences of already being ostracised for their identity.
HRW also asserted that members of the community have experienced homelessness due to lack of financial support, making them increasingly vulnerable to an array of abuses.
It declared that discriminatory laws prevent members of the LGBT community from reporting on these issues, where they have experienced lack of protection and empathy from the police.
The organisation urged Eastern Caribbean countries to repeal all laws that criminalise consensual activity among same-sex couples, pass laws defining rape in gender-neutral ways, and conduct awareness raising campaigns for the LGBT community.
- PM Chastanet promises super-rich Saint Lucia citizenship in three months November 18, 2019 11:55 AM
- Guy Joseph shoots down reports of complete St. Jude Hospital demolition November 18, 2019 10:26 AM
- Central Statistical Office launches Census 2020 recruitment drive November 18, 2019 12:16 AM
- Saint Lucia gov’t launches programme to boost local production of 7 key fruits, vegetables November 17, 2019 9:50 PM
- Fuel prices change November 17, 2019 7:00 PM
- Kindergarten registration takes on a new approach November 17, 2019 12:51 PM
- Two in custody in connection with Mon Repos businessman’s death November 12, 2019 11:08 AM
- Saint Lucia calls up UK-based goalkeeper Lamar Johnson November 12, 2019 10:46 AM
- Tourism ministry spearheads plan to ease traffic congestion in downtown Castries November 12, 2019 10:04 AM