Share This On:
GROS ISLET, Saint Lucia – Montserrat have qualified for the 2021 Concacaf Gold Cup playoffs after posting a 1-0 win over Saint Lucia in Group B of League B of the 2019-20 Concacaf Nations League on Tuesday night at the Darren Sammy Cricket Stadium in Gros Islet, Saint Lucia.
The result vaulted Montserrat into second place in the group over the Dominican Republic.
Montserrat started strong as they pressured the Saint Lucia defense in hopes of a first-half goal.
Their efforts would be handsomely rewarded in the 35’ when Joseph Taylor curled in a perfect cross from the right wing and a surging Nathan Pond smacked the header into goal for a 1-0 Montserrat lead.
Saint Lucia had a chance themselves in the first half through Antonio Joseph, but was unable to finish.
They then had a second great look at goal in the second half in the 69’ through Jevick McFarlane, but the striker could not land his shot on target.
Montserrat GK Corrin Brooks, who was excellent against El Salvador on Saturday, then became a hero for the visitors with a massive stop on a Kieran Monlouis shot in the 88’ to secure the clean sheet win for Montserrat.
- Canelles Resort Project begins January 17, 2020 2:52 PM
- St Lucia Jazz and St Lucia Summer Festival 2020 off to an exciting start January 17, 2020 10:00 AM
- Alert of “Assured” brand products January 16, 2020 3:20 PM
- Government aims to reduce serious crime by 45 percent January 16, 2020 2:33 PM
- 2020 Saint Lucia Summer Festival launched January 16, 2020 1:28 PM
- BVI: ‘Earthquake swarm’ leaves researchers puzzled and DDM on ‘high alert’ January 16, 2020 11:37 AM
- St Lucian artist Shaaiae collaborates with Gaza international artist Shawn Storm January 16, 2020 9:09 AM
- Central Statistical Office commences mapping for 2020 census January 15, 2020 11:34 AM