Share This On:
GROS ISLET, Saint Lucia – Montserrat have qualified for the 2021 Concacaf Gold Cup playoffs after posting a 1-0 win over Saint Lucia in Group B of League B of the 2019-20 Concacaf Nations League on Tuesday night at the Darren Sammy Cricket Stadium in Gros Islet, Saint Lucia.
The result vaulted Montserrat into second place in the group over the Dominican Republic.
Montserrat started strong as they pressured the Saint Lucia defense in hopes of a first-half goal.
Their efforts would be handsomely rewarded in the 35’ when Joseph Taylor curled in a perfect cross from the right wing and a surging Nathan Pond smacked the header into goal for a 1-0 Montserrat lead.
Saint Lucia had a chance themselves in the first half through Antonio Joseph, but was unable to finish.
They then had a second great look at goal in the second half in the 69’ through Jevick McFarlane, but the striker could not land his shot on target.
Montserrat GK Corrin Brooks, who was excellent against El Salvador on Saturday, then became a hero for the visitors with a massive stop on a Kieran Monlouis shot in the 88’ to secure the clean sheet win for Montserrat.
- Department of Health and Wellness prepares for new strain of coronavirus January 22, 2020 11:38 AM
- St Lucia captures numerous accolades at 27th Annual World Travel Awards January 22, 2020 11:25 AM
- Young Saint Lucian chef featured at restaurant in Taiwan January 22, 2020 8:28 AM
- Saint Lucia benefits from support to National Utilities Regulatory Commission January 21, 2020 3:52 PM
- Internal fault triggers system shut down January 21, 2020 11:23 AM
- Keymanie shines as repeat junior golf champ January 21, 2020 11:14 AM
- Prime Minister meets with Caribbean Development Bank January 20, 2020 2:41 PM
- Saint Lucia ends 40th year of Independence with over 400k stay-over arrivals January 20, 2020 11:51 AM
- Micoud South drainage contracts signed to alleviate flooding January 20, 2020 9:14 AM