Share This On:
GROS ISLET, Saint Lucia – Montserrat have qualified for the 2021 Concacaf Gold Cup playoffs after posting a 1-0 win over Saint Lucia in Group B of League B of the 2019-20 Concacaf Nations League on Tuesday night at the Darren Sammy Cricket Stadium in Gros Islet, Saint Lucia.
The result vaulted Montserrat into second place in the group over the Dominican Republic.
Montserrat started strong as they pressured the Saint Lucia defense in hopes of a first-half goal.
Their efforts would be handsomely rewarded in the 35’ when Joseph Taylor curled in a perfect cross from the right wing and a surging Nathan Pond smacked the header into goal for a 1-0 Montserrat lead.
Saint Lucia had a chance themselves in the first half through Antonio Joseph, but was unable to finish.
They then had a second great look at goal in the second half in the 69’ through Jevick McFarlane, but the striker could not land his shot on target.
Montserrat GK Corrin Brooks, who was excellent against El Salvador on Saturday, then became a hero for the visitors with a massive stop on a Kieran Monlouis shot in the 88’ to secure the clean sheet win for Montserrat.
- Three officers injured in Salisbury operation in Dominica says police chief December 5, 2019 6:59 PM
- Dominican chastises regional leaders including PM Chastanet December 5, 2019 3:41 PM
- Traffic Delays along Castries/Gros Islet Highway December 5, 2019 1:45 PM
- Government moves to protect the pensions of Millennium Heights Employees December 5, 2019 8:52 AM
- Catholic church in Dominica condemns ‘disrespectful’ behavior towards senior clergymen December 5, 2019 6:37 AM
- Uncertainty as civil unrest continues in Dominica December 4, 2019 9:56 AM
- Police fire live ammunition, tear gas in Dominica protest (See video) December 3, 2019 4:16 PM
- Saint Lucian sculptor Jallim Eudovic to receive major Caribbean Award December 3, 2019 2:16 PM
- Botham Jean’s brother receives police award December 3, 2019 1:45 PM