Share This On:
Saint Lucia finished fourth and last for the second year in a row as the Canadian Bank Note / Windward Islands Lotteries (CBN / WINLOTT) Windward Islands School Games concluded last weekend in Dominica.
Grenada repeated as champions, winning track and field, girls basketball and boys football for 39 points. Host nation Dominica won boys basketball and boys volleyball, finishing second on 33.
St Vincent and the Grenadines won girls netball and girls volleyball to finish third with 25 points. Saint Lucia finished no higher than third in any of the seven sports contested, and ended up with just 15 points.
Saint Lucia was third in track and field, just avoiding the cellar position. The same obtained in girls basketball, in spite of the forfeiture of their game against Grenada, and in boys basketball, notwithstanding the forfeiture of their game against Dominica.
In netball, Saint Lucia lost their three games by an average of 18 goals. The girls volleyball team passed 15 points twice in nine sets. The boys team was little better, despite having just finished second at the Eastern Caribbean Volleybal Association Youth Championships. In football, after a bright start, the team ended with two losses, giving up as many goals as they scored.
Among the individual awards, each team got Most Valuable Player trophies for the team sports. For Saint Lucia, Janell Mathurin won for netball; Pakel Gumbs for boysd basketball; Kamika President for girls basketball; Noah ‘Lucky’ Nicholas for football; Ryi Maryat for boys volleyball; and Kaitlyn Gillard for girls volleyball.
None of the Saint Lucian coaches were rewarded at the end of the tournament. Grenadian coaches in track and field, girls basketball and football were handed awards, along with two coaches each from Dominica and St Vincent and the Grenadines.
Saint Lucia’s Ministry of Youth Development and Sports, which is directly responsible for preparing the island’s team, has yet to come out with any comment on the results, four days after the conclusion of the competition.
More Sports Stories
- ARC+ first arrival makes landfall in Saint Lucia December 4, 2019
- West Indies name squads for upcoming T20Is and ODIs against India November 28, 2019
- ARC 2019 sets sail November 26, 2019
- Gayle, 40, takes “break” from cricket November 26, 2019
- Saint Lucian named captain of Windies U19 cricket team November 25, 2019
- Afghanistan Cricket Board XI draw with West Indies – 3rd day November 22, 2019
- Brathwaite, Hetmyer get starts but Windies struggle vs Afghans November 21, 2019
- Jorja Mederick qualifies for U16 Masters Final November 20, 2019