With more than 65 musical performances, art showcases, and a couture fashion show, the 23rd annual Saint Lucia Jazz and Arts festival will have travelers moving and shaking across the island.
The 12-day celebration kicks off on April 30 and runs through May 11 featuring a series of “festivals-within-the-festival,” infused with local culture, talent and cuisine.
Hitting the runway again this year, the “HOT Couture” fashion extravaganza will take place on Wednesday, May 7, featuring an international caliber trunk show and full runway presentations sporting the latest designs from some of the region’s best talent. Additional details can be found on http://www.stluciajazz.org/jazz_events/hot_couture.asp.
Additional festivities taking place throughout the Saint Lucia Jazz and Arts festival include:
· Jazz on the Bay, a two-day free festival, from May 2-3, featuring more than 20 musical performances at the popular yachting destination, Capella Marina at Marigot Bay. Local artists including headliner Barbara Cadet, Claudia Edward, Black Antz and Nation of Kings will be featured.
· Fond d’Or jazz, a celebration of authentic Saint Lucian folk sounds, fusion and smooth jazz taking place on May 3 from 1:00pm – 10:00pm at Fond d’Or Nature Heritage Park.
· Jazz in the South, one-day concert series highlighting creole-infused Caribbean Jazz and artistic exhibitions on May 4 at Rudy John Beach Park in Laborie, located near the southern tip of Saint Lucia.
· Jazz on the Square, staged annually at the Derek Walcott Square in downtown Castries, and features performances by top local and regional acts from Saint Lucia, Trinidad and Barbados. Performances start on May 7 and continue through May 9.
· Jazz on the Grill, debuted in 2008, and has become a permanent fixture in the festival event line-up offering eight days of dinner-time jazz performances at Fire Grill Steakhouse & Lounge Bar in Rodney Bay. This year’s line-up includes Carl Gustave, the St. Lucia School of Music, Barbara Cadet, Ronald ‘Boo’ Hinkson, among others.
· Teatime Jazz is into its 17th year and is a series of free lunchtime concerts taking place on Wednesday May 7th and Thursday May 8th at La Place Carenage Duty Free Shopping Mall. Tea Time jazz features top notch local performers, signature complimentary tea, coffee and light snacks while patrons enjoy music and the ambience.
· Soufriere Jazz, the town of Soufriere – cradle of Saint Lucia’s tourism – will rock to the rhythmic sounds of jazz in a big way! Against the picturesque backdrop of Petit Piton that rests grandly in Soufriere, the May 1st event that will be staged at the Soufriere Mini-Stadium (the Soufriere Playing Field) and will feature local and international artistes.
Main stage events are scheduled to begin on Thursday, May 9 at Pigeon Island National Landmark featuring internationally renowned artists including award winning, American singer-songwriter Maxwell; legendary American funk/soul band of Motown fame, The Commodores; Season 5 winner of American reality TV singing competition “The Voice,” Tessanne Chin; Tony-Award and three-time Grammy winning actress Dee Dee Bridgewater; among others.
Tickets can be purchased at http://www.stluciajazz.org/ for the main stage activities on Thursday May 8 at the Gaiety on Rodney Bay and the Pigeon Island National Landmark shows from May 9 through 11.
For more information on the full lineup for the 2014 Saint Lucia Jazz and Arts Festival along with show dates, venues and ticket sales, log onto http://www.stluciajazz.org. Festival attendees (with Android or IOS powered devices) can also download the new interactive mobile app at Google Play or Itunes, featuring festival lineup, artist bios, sample songs and more.