Share This On:
Saint Lucia’s Office of the Integrity Commission has reminded public officials that they are required to declare their assets, income and liabilities to the Commission or face a fine or imprisonment if they fail to do so.
In a press release on Tuesday, the Commission released a statement reminding public officials who have not filed their declarations by Dec. 31, 2018 to do so “immediately’.
The Commission has extended the deadline for filing “before May 31, 2019,” the release said.
“The Office of the Integrity Commission remind persons’ in public life that according to section 12(1) of the Integrity in Public Life Cap. 1.19 of the Revised Edition of the Laws of Saint Lucia, the Integrity Commission finds it necessary to remind all officials who have not filed declarations for the year ended December 31st 2018, to do so immediately,” the release said.
“The Act requires that each person in public life file with the Integrity Commission, a declaration of income, assets and liabilities for the year ending December 31st of each year. ‘Financial year’ means any period of 12 months beginning on 1 January in any year,” the released added.
When a public official fails to file a declaration, “the Commission shall publish the fact in the Gazette and send a report of the Director of Public Prosecution for further action,” the Commission said, quoting the legislation.
Delinquents face fines of up to $50,000 or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding five years or both for offences, the Commission said
- 13-year-old reported missing; elderly citizen found February 20, 2020 10:54 AM
- Residents in the north of the island to experience further delays in accessing the water supply February 20, 2020 9:25 AM
- Taiwan Technical Mission assists banana farmers to secure regional markets February 20, 2020 9:06 AM
- St Lucia captures numerous accolades at 6th Annual Travvy Awards February 19, 2020 8:45 AM
- Department of Health and Wellness coronavirus review meeting February 18, 2020 2:55 PM
- 1st phase of Market Redevelopment Project almost ready February 18, 2020 10:39 AM
- UWP Government deprives 8000 young St Lucians of laptops – SLP February 18, 2020 9:09 AM
- Ministers welcome Youth Parliamentarians at Monday’s Cabinet meeting February 18, 2020 8:48 AM
- 16-year-old among victims of Dominica plane crash February 17, 2020 6:31 PM