Share This On:
(CMC) — Several Caribbean countries were rattled as two earthquakes hit the region within a six-hour period, the Trinidad-based Seismic Research Centre (SRC) of the St Augustine campus of the University of the West Indies (UWI) has said.
In the first instance, the SRC said that a quake with a magnitude of 4.0 was felt in the French island of Martinique, Dominica and St Lucia.
The SRC said that the quake occurred at 9:40 pm (local time) Sunday and was located at Latitude: 15.08 north, Longitude: 60.30 west and at a depth of 10 kilometres (km).
It said that the quake was felt 101 km north east of Fort-de-France, Martinique, 123 km east south east of Roseau, Dominica and 139 km north east of Castries, St Lucia.
The second quake, with a magnitude of 3.3, occurred at 3:35 am (local time) on Monday and was located at Latitude: 12.29 north, Longitude: 61.65 west and at a depth: five kilometres.
The quake was felt 28 km north east of St George’s, Grenada, 107 km south west of Kingstown, St Vincent and the Grenadines and 159 km North West of Scarborough in Trinidad and Tobago
The SRC said there were no immediate reports of injuries or damages caused by the two earthquakes, the latest in a series of earth tremors felt in several Caribbean countries.
The SRC have been warning regional countries to be prepared for a major quake.
Last month Trinidad and Tobago recorded an earthquake with a magnitude of 6.9 causing wide spread infrastructural damage to several buildings.
- Two in custody in connection with Mon Repos businessman’s death November 12, 2019 11:08 AM
- Saint Lucia calls up UK-based goalkeeper Lamar Johnson November 12, 2019 10:46 AM
- Tourism ministry spearheads plan to ease traffic congestion in downtown Castries November 12, 2019 10:04 AM
- BREAKING NEWS: Mon Repos businessman succumbs to gunshot wound November 11, 2019 7:35 PM
- Former Saint Lucia top cop Vernon Francois talks about the launch of his digital books November 9, 2019 11:18 PM
- 76-year-old businessman shot in Mon Repos November 9, 2019 9:07 PM
- Gunmen attack, rob bar manager in Jetrine, Saltibus November 9, 2019 6:29 PM
- Entrepot, Sir Ira and Bocage secondary schools to remain closed on Monday November 9, 2019 5:55 PM
- Women who fought with Ciceron Secondary students speak out! November 9, 2019 5:28 PM