Share This On:
(CMC) — Several Caribbean countries were rattled as two earthquakes hit the region within a six-hour period, the Trinidad-based Seismic Research Centre (SRC) of the St Augustine campus of the University of the West Indies (UWI) has said.
In the first instance, the SRC said that a quake with a magnitude of 4.0 was felt in the French island of Martinique, Dominica and St Lucia.
The SRC said that the quake occurred at 9:40 pm (local time) Sunday and was located at Latitude: 15.08 north, Longitude: 60.30 west and at a depth of 10 kilometres (km).
It said that the quake was felt 101 km north east of Fort-de-France, Martinique, 123 km east south east of Roseau, Dominica and 139 km north east of Castries, St Lucia.
The second quake, with a magnitude of 3.3, occurred at 3:35 am (local time) on Monday and was located at Latitude: 12.29 north, Longitude: 61.65 west and at a depth: five kilometres.
The quake was felt 28 km north east of St George’s, Grenada, 107 km south west of Kingstown, St Vincent and the Grenadines and 159 km North West of Scarborough in Trinidad and Tobago
The SRC said there were no immediate reports of injuries or damages caused by the two earthquakes, the latest in a series of earth tremors felt in several Caribbean countries.
The SRC have been warning regional countries to be prepared for a major quake.
Last month Trinidad and Tobago recorded an earthquake with a magnitude of 6.9 causing wide spread infrastructural damage to several buildings.
- Kobe Bryant dies in helicopter crash January 26, 2020 6:04 PM
- Ministry of Agriculture promotes green economy January 24, 2020 2:09 PM
- Queens Commonwealth Essay Competition announces winners January 24, 2020 9:52 AM
- Risk of coronavirus in Caribbean ‘low’ says CARPHA January 23, 2020 3:07 PM
- Meeting with US Secretary of State: Saint Lucia and US continue to strengthen ties January 23, 2020 9:00 AM
- Department of Health and Wellness prepares for new strain of coronavirus January 22, 2020 11:38 AM
- St Lucia captures numerous accolades at 27th Annual World Travel Awards January 22, 2020 11:25 AM
- Young Saint Lucian chef featured at restaurant in Taiwan January 22, 2020 8:28 AM
- Saint Lucia benefits from support to National Utilities Regulatory Commission January 21, 2020 3:52 PM