Share This On:
The Pan Association will be having its press launch immediately before at the Pyramid!
Background on the event
Carnival is the major Caribbean and Latin American cultural form. Within the framework of the Saint Lucian Carnival, Alliance Francaise in collaboration with the Brazilian Embassy and Youth SPAC will be exploring the origins of the music of carnival in an activity entitled: “Roots of Carnival, From Samba to Calypso”.
The event will included portrayals by carnival bands, as well as an exhibition examining the French and Caribbean carnivals and a film by Ariel De Bigault entitled “Cariocas” exploring the Brazilian Samba.
Samba is a Brazilian dance and musical genre originating in Bahia by the enslaved African descendants. It has become one of the major components of the Brazilian Carnival.
The film will explore this component with some interviews and demonstrations. It will be the stimulus for the panel discussion with representatives from the Saint Lucia Steel Pan Association, the Saint Lucia Calypso Association, music and carnival experts and a Brazilian representative.
The event will end with a cocktail.
More Entertainment Stories
- Lawyer for Jamaican artiste Popcaan rejects claims he was found with gun February 20, 2020
- AJ celebrates 758 Independence February 18, 2020
- Teddyson John and the TJ Project start it for Kes Tuesday on the Rocks February 17, 2020
- Machel marries today February 14, 2020
- Saveion selected to write official Independence 41 theme song February 13, 2020
- Saint Lucian goes to calypso finals in Dominica February 11, 2020
- OECS Music Talk held in Montserrat February 11, 2020