Share This On:
(PRESS RELEASE VIA SNO) – The Department of Infrastructure formally launched the Road Maintenance Management System (RMMS) and Bridge Maintenance Management System (BMMS) Project on Friday May 4, 2018.
The project signals Government`s firm commitment to the comprehensive and strategic development of Saint Lucia`s infrastructure in support of social and economic advancement. The RMMS and BMMS is a collection of software tools which will provide policy makers with an inventory of the country`s infrastructural assets and a comprehensive snapshot to guide investments in upgrades and routine maintenance. More Importantly, it will also provide scientific analysis and methods for preventative maintenance and planning those maintenance works instead of reacting to damages retroactively.
Speaking at the launch, Infrastructure Minister Honorable Stephenson King said “as a Government, we are proud to herald a new vision and approach to road maintenance in this country – a paradigm shift”. The RMMS will play a major role in improving the island`s ageing road assets, save tax payers dollars and optimize the country’s resources.
Permanent Secretary Mr. Ivor Daniel told the gathering at Friday`s launch “we are modernizing the way we do business and take care of the infrastructure needs of Saint Lucia, by our investment, in the RMMS and BMMS. He also lauded the Ministry of Finance for making the resources available under the project at this vital time.
The company, SirWay Limited of Finland has hit the ground running, undertaking surveys around the island. Project team leader Dr Konsta Sirvivo has disclosed that development of the island`s human resource capacity is a critical component of the consultancy. He added that effective management is key to successful implementation of the Road Assets Management System for Saint Lucia.
Saint Lucia`s Chief Engineer Mr. Albert Jn. Baptiste is credited with having lobbied for the development of such an essential tool, which will inform policymakers decisions, technical designs and expenditure on road maintenance projects. He explained that the initiative will place Saint Lucia`s service delivery in managing public assets on par with more advanced jurisdictions.
The Road Maintenance Management System and Road Assets Management System will undertake surveys and assessments that will cover approximately 1000km of roads and 100 major bridges and culverts around Saint Lucia.
- Prime Minister assures former Majestic Industries workers that their request will be granted December 9, 2019 3:28 PM
- Cellma training at OKEU December 9, 2019 12:44 PM
- Jade Mountain food gets top French honors December 9, 2019 9:30 AM
- DLP sweeps general election in Dominica December 6, 2019 9:12 PM
- Hallucine leads the ARC fleet into Saint Lucia December 6, 2019 3:56 PM
- Hilaire continues to sell out Saint Lucia – UWP December 6, 2019 12:52 PM
- Dominicans vote amid fears of violence December 6, 2019 9:50 AM
- Three officers injured in Salisbury operation in Dominica says police chief December 5, 2019 6:59 PM
- Dominican chastises regional leaders including PM Chastanet December 5, 2019 3:41 PM