That’s according to a press release from Minister for Infrastructure Phillip Pierre who informed that government is in talks with Royal Caribbean International (R.C.I.) in relation to an agreement on the venture.
“At a meeting held on March 4, 2013 the cabinet of the government of Saint Lucia issued guidance to the Saint Lucia Air & Sea Ports Authority (SLASPA) to allow for further discussions on the matter with Royal Caribbean International (R.C.I.) as it relates to the agreement with the government,” the statement said.
The release further stated that, “Recent discussions with R.C.I. has indicated that they are presently holding discussions with a potential partner who has indicated an interest and submitted documentation to allow for a full due diligence of the proposed partner,” the release said.
According to the release, government has instructed SLASPA to provide a timeline to R.C.I to finalize discussions with the new partner and to proceed with discussions with other potential allies if that deadline is not forthcoming.
According to the release, government has made it clear that it is not willing to move forward with the project with the previously proposed Asphalt and Mining company as partner.
“The government of the Saint Lucia continues to work with SLASPA to move the project forward but will only endorse a reputable partner,” the release said.
The statement went on to accuse the United Workers Party government of failing to comply with “a number of issues in the agreement and thus making the agreement invalid.”
Port Castries, under the project, will be transformed into a modern shopping plaza for cruise passengers, visitors and locals.
The release said government is fully committed to bringing the project to fruition.