PRESS RELEASE – Raise Your Voice Saint Lucia organisers of the anti-violence walk held on Wednesday November 25th, 2015 to observe “International Day for the Elimination of Violence against Women” want to remind all St. Lucians that this was a first step in raising awareness on the scourge of Rape, Domestic Violence, Child Abuse and all violence in our society.
Speaking on the public reaction to the march, members of the organisation has noted “We have been overwhelmed by the level of support which we received from the Media, Ministry of Education, Sir Arthur Lewis Community College, Ministry of the Public Service, Private Sector Businesses and Individuals. Our Declaration which was presented will be the template with which we advocate in the coming month’s i.e.
1. Draft and enact the model Family Law Bills by July 31st, 2016;
2. Build the capacity of the Justice System i.e. Police, Office of the Director of Public Prosecution and the Courts to better solve crime and bring swift justice to victims, by July 30, 2016;
3. Establishment a permanent Hall of Justice by January 1st, 2016;
4. Re-commission the Forensic Laboratory by March 31st, 2016;
5. Establish a shelter for victims of sexual assault by July 30th, 2015.
We anticipate civil society and religious organizations, families of victims and concerned citizens at large will raise their voices in support of our call to ensure our women and children are protected, and that the necessary systems are put in place to minimize all forms of violence within our society, allow justice to prevail in the shortest time possible and ensure investigations are done professionally and within a stated time frame as much as possible.